All right, I'm ready. Tell me just how bad of quality they are!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awheel11, Aug 18, 2010.

1. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I received hatching eggs from a friend that were supposed to be phoenixes. I believe they are, but I also know they are pretty poor quality. I think they are supposed to be the black breasted red variety, although the coloring is off. I just love them! They are so friendly and docile. Just for curiousity's sake though, how do they measure up? I would like to learn from all you very knowledgeable people out there [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are just over 3 months old, I have two cockerels and three pullets. Only one pullet has the correct slate blue legs, the others have got that green tint. The cockerels are just so beautiful to me, and I have to apologize because these pictures really don't do them justice. Any input is great! Thanks for looking!

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I think are beautiful! I'm no expert on anything, but I know pretty....

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

If you like them then they are perfect [​IMG]

I have several mixed roos that I just adore even tho their family tree must have some pretty gnarly branches. [​IMG]

4. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks [​IMG] I love them and they'll have a forever home with me no matter what! I'd love to learn more about that gorgeous breed though [​IMG]

5. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    You know I think they are pretty. I don't know what the standards are for most of the breeds, then again I'm not a show person either. When I see pretty or I like it then that what I like and want to breed for.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    they probably wouldn't win in a show... but if you love them, that is all that matters.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They are still in their juvenille plumage so the feather colour isn't a concern. The colour should improve with age.
    You're right about the leg colour. In a show the willow legs would result in a disqualification.
    Beyond that it's hard to say much as the birds are immature. Body type doesn't look bad.

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

That (or those) cockerals have the correct juvenile coloring of a BBR (black breasted red) - when they moult for their adults in about 1-2 months I guess they'll have better color and appropriate patterning - they are on the right track. I have two BBR brown leghorn boys out and about of my neighbors and they are about 4 months old and looking like your cockerals.

I think they are pretty.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Also Phoenix should have white ear lobes and those dont

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Just wait till they get their adult tail feathers...they'll be spectacular! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by