All right. This is no longer funny.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azygous, Feb 11, 2015.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My six-year old SLV Alice has been stuck in this tattered stage of molt for going on five months now. No, she's not dealing with sub-freezing temperatures well at all. My electric bill was $30 over the norm trying to keep her warm on days like today when there's a blizzard going on.

I've tried feeding her high grade protein, such as tuna and tofu, and she will eat a small bit of it, then let the others clean it up. She refuses to eat anything at all if I try to feed it to her in isolation.

She seems okay in every other respect, not acting ill. There is simply no evidence of new feathers trying to grow in. None of these horribly damaged feathers are falling out, either.

Ideas anyone?[​IMG]

2. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Bump.

Hope someone can shed some light on what's happening. Hope something can be figured out soon to help her break through that hard molt.

I know my chickens LOVE LOVE slightly warm scrambled eggs with oatmeal (and water) as an occasional treat. I might consider a small amount of chicken vitamins mixed in. Can you hand feed her some of this? (So you know she's eating some.) Has she been wormed? Does she have mites or lice? She is not maying right now, correct?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No parasites. No, she isn't laying. A few of the flock only just began laying again.

Alice has a strange trust issue with me. She doesn't like to be hand fed, yet she'll allow herself to be "caught", meaning she creeps within range when I'm hugging another hen, and I am permitted to bring her in for a group hug. But feeding, no.

She is eating, and I've given her vitamins and probiotics on top of her fermented feed. I find this hard to fathom since FF is supposed to prevent this sort of thing. I thought. I cross posted over on the "Feeding and Watering" forum because this forum seems to have sparse participation, at least when I happen to post here.

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Feed her lots of scrambled eggs and meat. See what that does, that should help if she CAN be helped. She doesn't look too unhealthy otherwise [​IMG]

Keep us posted.

5. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Might sound ridiculous but keep her off feed for a day while keeping her in a dark box. That will bring her into a proper moult, and then as everyone else says feed her a high protein feed

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies

Well, it can't hurt. I'll give solitary confinement in the dark with no food for a day a try. Does it need to be total darkness or just subdued indirect light? But when I begin feeding her again, it has to be with the whole flock, or she won't eat. There is very little meat to be found at my place because I rarely eat it, but I can feed canned tuna and tofu, which they seem to like. They also get a 20% protein flock feed in the natural course of daily feeding.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Alice is now installed in her darkness cage. I plucked her off the perch tonight at roosting time, and placed her in the cage with just some water, if she can still see well enough to drink when daytime comes. I draped very dark blankets over the cage so it's very dark. I figure on reversing the procedure tomorrow evening, and putting her back on her perch to wake up with her flock members next morning.

I sure hope this works. I'll report back in a few weeks if the feathers begin falling out.

8. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    I hope it works. Make sure she is warm, like you are already doing. It may be worth feeding her chick crumb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by