1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All Right, Who Crowed???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Sep 2, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This a.m., was listening to the usual rooster symphony, Ike, Suede, Dutch (Zane rarely ever crows early), this morning about 6 a.m., then I hear a different crow, sounds like coming from the layers coop, maybe behind it. I think, Dutch, was that you? What an odd crow for Dutch. Then, I hear it again. Suddenly, DH raises up in bed to listen. So, it wasn't my imagination. It's a young rooster, clear, full voice, but definitely not one of my adults. The only young rooster I have is a barred EE who is 9 weeks old. That was not a baby crow-it was an accomplished one.
    So, now, I'm wondering if someone dropped off a rooster on my property. Sounded like it was inside my fence, that close. Sure hope not, but I have no explanation other than a rooster wandered up to my place or was dumped. We'll be looking for him today. I sure hope that little 9 week old boy just has the best crow for a kid that I've ever heard and that there isn't some strange bird on my property that I have to deal with. [​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG] Here's hoping it's your little one but what do you mean by "deal" with it? A new member of the flock? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

No, I have a strict policy that birds who aren't hatched here cant be here, due to disease issues. Depending on the condition of the bird, it would either be culled or taken to the co-op that sells chickens or the humane society here. I cant risk my flock for a strange bird whose history isn't known. I'm really in no shape today to hike all over the property, (very painful joints this morning) looking for one bird in the woods, but may have to try if we hear it again.

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Not a bad policy!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just the title of this thread cracked me up! [​IMG]
    I'm sorry Cyn. I know it's a sticky situation for you.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Can't wait to hear how this turns out!! LOL!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sorry, Cynthia, that was Angus, my DBH roo! He just got it right- I knew it was loud, didn't realize it carried so far! Good pipes on the boy!

Seriously, hope you haven't been dumped on. I too have adopted a pretty strict policy now. No newbies I didn't hatch. And no visitors at all, especially after the weirdo the feed store sent!

8. speckledhen

No sign of any strange rooster so far. Well, I'm perplexed. Wonder if he was just passing through. If it's a Buff Orpington, I'd know who his owner is. Someone who lives just outside my little development has a flock of all Buff Orps, including at least a couple of roosters. Maybe one got out somehow and wandered up the hill. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by