All settled in, but one not doing well - help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jendodd79, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    We have one chick that is the teeniest of all of them. I just got them settled in to the brooder and I noticed that it was a little unsteady. I picked it up, and it had pasty but. So I cleaned it off - it was really caked on there and I had to pick it off. When the fluff is wet it seems like it's stomach is swollen? But I don't know if I'm being paranoid. It seems a little unsteady, and is just standing looking dazed. I put ACV in the water and a little lid of yogurt in the brooder. Anything else I can do for the little one, or is it wait and see?

2. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Also, a really dumb newbie question - but do chickens just have a vent? There's a spot below the vent that has a little blood spot on it. I'm not sure if I accidentally picked the fluff off or if it's an umbilical cord? I'm pretty sure that this one is only just a day old - 2 at max

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would imagine the spot is from the pasty butt - chickens only have one exit.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. upmycreek

upmycreek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hey, first let me say I am not an expert. I am currently in the process of my first incubator hatch and it's been a semi-disaster. So the first chick to "hatch" was very lethargic. I made the mistake of helping it out of the shell and have learned that there is a reason why everyone yells not to do that. My chick had the small red/yellow spot, but it did not have pasty butt. It was vvvveeeerrryyy weak. Really sleepy, coul barely keep its head up and its feet were all curled up and it looked like it was having mini seizures (it is a silkie) and I thought for sure that I killed it. I went out and bought the poly-vi-sol without iron and some sav-a-chick electolytes and gave it to it as per directions on this site and it is made a remarkable improvement. It's feet uncurled and it stopped having the seizures and the bulge in it's abdomin (i'm assuming that is the yolk sac) has been fully absorbed... it was hanging out of it's bottom by the umbilical cord that was still attatched to the shell (had to tie off the cord... like I said DISASTER). So similarities here are that the yellow/red spot was from the umbilical cord which is below the vent closest to its head and my chick also had the bloated bottom, but mine's vent looked normal (not distended or pasty). I ended up putting a little triple antibiotic ointment on the red spot because it was all that I had at 4 in the morning. It's still sleepy all the time, but the poly-vi-sol and electolytes (which I gently fed via a pipet syringe on the side of its beak when it wasn't peeping so it didn't aspirate) really made the day and night difference. I am now boiling eggs and mixing yogurt together to see if it'll eat. Anyway mine is still deep in the woods so I am not sure how much this will help, but until someone else more knowledgable posts... it's at least a bump.

5. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you! I imagine that it looks so small because some of the chicks were hatched on Sunday and I think a few hatched Wed morning at the last minute. Lots of growth in 4 days!

I didn't even think that it might not have eaten the whole yolk sack yet - good thought!

Right now it is just standing in one spot and falling asleep. Not lying down like the other ones. Sometimes it will preen it's left wing. It seems to be a bit more steady though.

Any other thoughts? I'll make sure to check it's backend for any more pasty butt :)

6. upmycreek

Apr 7, 2011
    oh and I have read about the organic ACV being good so I added that to my electrolyte mixture, too so I think that is a good idea. I had a chick under a broody that had a weak vent that was chronic pasty butt/constipated despite all the yogurt and egg remedies out there and I had to give it was molasses and water as a laxative, but it was seriously backed up and its vent was badly prolapsed from straining so hard. I dabbed mineral oil and prepration H (for the prolapse) on its vent... but in your case maybe just a small dab of mineral oil to keep it lubed. I dunno though...

7. upmycreek

Apr 7, 2011
    I think keeping it warm and quiet was the trick for mine. Mine looked like death up until yesterday afternoon (it hatched at midnight Tuesday) and it's walking around and looking alert... it sleeps a lot, but as soon as it hears me it jumps up and wants to chat. My second one just hatched this morning and looks normal, well cuz I didn't help it... as much. Its drying off in the incubator so until it's completely dry I am having to keep the first one entertained. It's at 2 days and like I said it looks like a normal chick now. Patience is hard in this chick hatching deal :) Goodluck and let me know how it does...

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

When I get new shipments of chicks I always put Sav-a-Chick in the water when they first arrive, it's amazing how it perks them up. After a couple days I switch to plain water. If there are problems with pasty butt's I put a teaspoon of ACV in their quart waterer. I've never had anymore pasty problems with chicks that have ACV in the water. Once they clear up I use it a couple times a week.

9. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you!

I'll see if I can find save a chick at my local little feed store!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by