all silkie lovers welcome!!!

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by BettyBlueSilkie, Oct 20, 2013.

1. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    welcome! speak your mind about silkies I can also answer any silkie questions![​IMG]

2. ilovemysilkie

ilovemysilkie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2013
    Wisconsin
    YAY!!!!! I LOVE SILKIES!

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

I am getting some new silkies chicks in the spring so I want to know if there is anyway you can tell the difference between a male and female Silkie at such a young age.(They will be or two weeks!)
    Thanks a bunch!
    P.S I <3 Silkies :)

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

There isn't really a specific or exact way to tell a Silkies gender at such a young age. You can sex most Silkie around the age of 6 months but it varies on the chicken, some Silkies can be sexed at the age of 8 weeks as well. Post some pictures of their comb and full (side view) picture of their body when they are a bit older. :)

5. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

6. djmax

djmax Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Pollock Pines CA
    I have a little silkie "Liza" she was hatched April 19th - starting laying at 21 weeks and is now broody- concern is that she is missing feathers on her belly (None)
    Is something wrong with her
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any advice you could give us

7. Veer67

Broody hens will lose some belly feathers, it helps give their eggs direct body heat to keep them warm. Hens will also line their nests with feathers too. :)

8. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    Don't worry, it's perfectly normal. The hormones cause the hen to lose her belly feathers, and if for some reason she doesn't, the hen will pull them out. Sometimes if they stay broody for a long time, the hormones will cause feather loss on other parts of the body. I had a Cochin who lost her hackles and head feathers after being broody for four months.

9. djmax

djmax Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Pollock Pines CA
    Thanks for all the silkie advice for our Liza , but how long is she going to be broody for the average silkie ... poor thing is not happy.

10. Veer67

Most hens are broody for about 3 weeks, some very dedicated ones will stay on for longer until their eggs hatch. I would recommend breaking her unless you are planning on letting her brood some eggs. This link can help [​IMG]: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/broody-breaker-when-hens-mood-to-hatch.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by