All the chickens are acting like roosters?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mysweetgypsy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I have a small flock. The following were ordered as pullets, 2 BO, 2 Ameraucana, 1 Columbian Wyandotte. The rest were straight run, 4 silkies and 6 BLRW. I was almost sure I had them all figured out, and then today one of my "hens" was fighting with the confirmed silkie roo, and my largest "roo" (one of my Ameraucana pullets) was running from that same silkie roo. [​IMG] (only one crowing so far, otherwise I'd probably be wondering about him too!) Why are they doing this!? My first flocks were hand me downs, over a year old, and the old owners all knew what they were. I've never had to sex a chicken and am finding it nearly impossible! Is this fighting normal? It isn't very aggressive, more like posturing, and a few hops here and there. The first group of "pullets" is about 18+weeks, the silkies are 5 months, and the BLRW are 7 weeks. (sadly I think they are all roos, SOOO disapointed) Any chicken behavioralists? Help [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:please post photos? Sounds like you may have a bunch of roos on your hands?? Photos of full body shots -side shots:)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes, photos will help!

4. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Here are a few pics. Unfortunately it's just me taking pics so this will be only moderately helpful. My oldest is 4 and can't seem to hold onto a fighting chicken [​IMG] The chickens are all really well tempered, but she's very timid.

Here's my Ameraucana "pullet"? Never crowed, but never laid either? I'm pretty sure the BO in the back is a hen but she was fighting with the silkie roo.

[​IMG]

Here's a group shot, maybe something will jump out at you? The partridge silkie is a roo, I think [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had several more pics to upload but it won't let me right now? [​IMG] I'll try again in an hour or so. Thanks!

5. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    That happened to me and they all but one turned out to be roos! Better luck to you, I hope [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by