all the sudden no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by only1kristenl, Dec 26, 2012.

1. only1kristenl

only1kristenl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Hi there.

This is my first year with chickens. I have 10 original hens hatched in March/april and a rooster who was added to the flock in November. (1EE 2BO 2 Buff Brahma 3GLW 1 SLW and 1red.sex.link.) rooster is a blue wheaton ameraucana and the perfect roo. All my girls love him.

Since he is such a doll, and of show quality I purchased 4 blue wheaton ameraucana hens from the same farm that had been his companions previous to coming to my little flock . Three days ago I put them in the coop with the rest of.the flock in dead of night. Other than obviously trying to work out the pecking order, they have been fine.

Since that day I have seen a HUGE decline in eggs. Only 1-3 a day were I was getting 8-10 a day before the arrival of.the new hens. We live in New Hampshire and it.just started to get really cold
    So i am unsure whether the stress of the new (beautiful) hens is causing the problems or.if.its the sudden drop in temp. The coop is 7x6 chicken wire with the walls covered in plastic to keep in heat and prevent drafts, the top is just chicken wire no plastic for ventilation purposes. We put a light on from 4am-sun up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. only1kristenl

Apr 4, 2012
    Ohh! I should clarify that the coop is inside an insulated shed (12x12) a.d not stand alone.

3. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Since November all my EE's stopped laying. I contribute this to the change in weather, molting and day light. My brown layers still lay but it's still slow for them as well.

4. only1kristenl

Apr 4, 2012
    Good to know, but the only eggs I am getting are from my EE and BWA's!! The new girls seem to have found the nesting boxes....

5. only1kristenl

Apr 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the new girls :) Aren't they pretty!!

6. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    The decrease in daylight(most chickens require 14 hours/day of sunlight for best egg production) is the primary cause of decreased production. If any of your chickens are molting they will not lay until the molt is over. Also,changes in their surroundings can affect egg-laying.

The one thing I'm confused about is your Buff Brahmas not laying. My Brahmas lay like crazy when winter comes.

7. only1kristenl

Apr 4, 2012
    I was aware that the decrease in daylight would lower their egg production and that's why we suplimented their light in the AM. We've been doing that for weeks, and their egg production kept up great. No one is molting. And you're right, Buff Brahmas are excellent layers, that's why I'm so confused with the sudden stop. It must be the disruption with the new hens. I confirmed only 2 eggs today again, one from my new BWA and my EE. Usually they all lay their eggs by noon and one of my Buff Orps sits on all 10 of them until I come out and get them. lol.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens hate change..........any change. They quit laying because you added the new girls. Give them a week or two and they'll get going again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by