1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All was well...then the neighbors got a dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stilldeb, Dec 2, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We live out in the country in the middle of a farm...actually the neighbor's farm surrounds our property, but their house is about 1/4 mile down the road. There are no houses close by. We had no large predator problems (well, except hawks lately) as there is no cover around here. Then they got a dog down the road. They were keeping him tied up in the yard, but lately I have seen him down by the pond, and getting bolder, moving every closer to my chickens. Trouble is, until he is very close to my chickens, he is literally on his own property, so there's nothing I can really say about that. Then tonight, my son almost wiped out his car coming up over the hill (we live on one hill, the neighbors on another) and there was the dog in the middle of the road.

I don't want to 'start something' with these people. They are older and we have always been on friendly terms with them in the 13 yrs we've lived here. We have two dogs and they always go outside on very long cables that gives them the run of much of the backyard, then they come back in. What's the best way to deal with this?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would go to them and just tell them you are very concerned because the dog nearly caused an accident being in the road and how upset your son was about not only nearing hitting the dog but nearly wrecking the car too. Just come off as friendly and concerned. You can add that the dog has also been checking out your livestock. Don't say chickens in case they want to start in on the whole "they're only chickens" crap. Just say he's investigating your livestock and your worried he may go after them and leave it at that, for now.

I would start with that and see how they respond. Just because they own property that border's your does not mean their dog can slaughter your animals and you shouldn't have to wait until he does for them to take action. You are right to want to preserve a decent relationship with these people, you could be neighbor's for many years. And if they are decent folks they will understand your concerns as well.

3. jamie78

jamie78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Maybe you can talk to them and tell them that thier dog was nearly hit by a car and that you'd hate to see something happen to him/her. That might be enough to watch the dog more carefully or tie it up when it's outside. It's an idea to start with, and go from there if that doesn't work.

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    All good suggestions, thanks, I'll work on it tomorrow.

5. Danny D

Danny D Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Quote:I agree

6. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    If you want to preserve the relationship, don't bring up the dog. Even if they agree to confine it and actually effectively do so, it's going to add stress to the relationship. I would just quietly make the dog disappear and continue being friends with your neighbors.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I agree on not saying anything.Anyone who lets their dog roam does not care about accidents or harm to livestock. Take the dog for a ride.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    First thing, never is a dog of any kind worth wrecking a car over. Should have hit it and the problem would be over. But considering it didn't happen that way, they have to know the problem are nothing will change. I would bet they got the dog thinking they would have some protection or early warning for an intruder. But a roaming dog is no good to them or you.

I would just handle it accordingly. If you have the stomach for it, handle it when time comes and say nothing.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    That seems very harsh to me. This dog has done nothing to the chickens yet. I agree with the above posts about letting the owners know that the dog is in danger running loose. Yeah I want to protect my chickens, but I actually like dogs too. Just having chickens does not give license to kill other animals that Might be a threat. In this state you are only allowed to take lethal action if your livestock is in imminant danger. I guess everyone must follow their own conscience, though.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would probably go down there, and tell them you would hate to see their dog hurt, but you have rat poison on your property and are afraid that the dog may find it. It would just break your heart. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by