1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All worm prevention

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hikerfrog99, Feb 24, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I would like to know how you prevent worms. Do you deworm your flock or use other methods of prevention. My chickens have just started to free range and I am concerned. Thanks

2. couuntrygirl13

couuntrygirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    United States
    You can buy dewormer at the store or you can use homemade methods. You can use pumpkin seeds or hot peppers. The hot peppers don't harm the chickens; they cant taste it.

3. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thank you couuntrygirl

4. couuntrygirl13

couuntrygirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    United States
    You're welcome!

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Deworming isn't exactly preventing worms, it's treating for worms. If you want to prevent worms there are quite a few things that go into that. Free ranging doesn't cause worms, it's one of the ways to prevent them, so you are already gone one step towards prevention. [​IMG]

Low stocking rates, culling each year for poor laying and poor conditioning, NOT deworming with chemical dewormers on a schedule, use breeds that are naturally hardy and parasite resistant, feed fermented feeds, free ranging, using deep litter in coops and pens, maintain good ground cover on the range area to protect proper soil culture and~optionally~ once a year about this time of the year you can offer things that are known to purge worms like fresh garlic, raw pumpkin seeds, ginger root, castor oil, or even soapy water.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by