All you Horse people on here... need a Critique!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Equest94, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Hello. I'm hoping someone can give me a [conformation] critique on my friend's new horse. I've already told her what I see and think about him, but she also would like a few other opinions just for the hell of it. She put him up on a horse forum, but she didn't get any replies, so I'm posting him on here ,on a chicken forum, on her behalf - lol (cause that makes sense). [​IMG]

Anyways, he's a 9yro Thoroughbred gelding...about 16.2-3hh. He's off the track, retrained in Eventing (competed up to the intermediate level) -he's very brave and true competitor, has a great mindset., especially for an OTTB... he hasn't done anything in a while, so he's a bit out of shape but will get back into training come next month.

Note: he didn't really want to stand still (it was feeding time) and in the picture of his front legs, he is missing his front right shoe.

I hope there's someone out here who could give us a "hand"...Let us know what you think...

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    ^^^ his back legs aren't really that messed up... he was scratching an itch on his hip and stopped to look at us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Well, in the last two pictures, he's a bit toed out, his neck is a bit ewe, but he's got some good hindquarters, and it looks like he's got a nice shoulder, so should have a good reach.

3. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I agree with doctorgoose, also needs some work of some low cavletties and gymnastics to get those hind quarters some more muscle. I am in the process of training for eventing myself. Otherwise I think he looks good. As long as hes got the "guts" he would turn out to be a nice eventer, if he is well rounded in all 3 disciplines. Tell your friend nice pick!

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm not liking how he's standing on the rear, but he looks really good overall. He'll look great when he's back in shape!

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    He has a very pretty head and neck, neck is a good length, nice back. He has nice hips but does need some more muscle and less chunky![​IMG]
    He has good legs, does toe out alittle but looks like he might have some dirt in left hoof causing the toeing out on that side? He looks to have very kind eyes. looks like you got a good horse there. Good luck with him.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You can tell he's been on vacation! His neck is upside-down, but that will come back. I like everything. He's slightly cow hocked, but it's not at all unusual for a TB. I like his front end quite a bit, looks very clean.

I think you should have a good vet do a flex test. There is *something* about his hindquarter that makes me uneasy. It might be that he's not square - but everyone look at the picture from behind. His right hip appears atrophied compared to the left (look at the topline of the hip - it's asymetrical). This is common with OTTBs that have hock/stifle issues. I'd have that looked at hard. A chiropractor should also evaluate him.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Yes! You're right... I wonder if there is something going on in his back or hip that is causing that toe to come out like that. And his right side does look atrophied.
    Equest- I suggest your friend take a good look at that right side... everything from his back down to his foot. She needs to get a complete vet check, with x-rays if she can afford it. It may be something a chropractor can fix or it could be something more. Better safe than sorry.

8. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    well, in my eyes it's not that his right side is atrophied it's more that his left hip is higher. if you look at his SI joints the left side is higher.
    he's not standing perfectly sqaure in the hind end so there is a bit of room for error there.

i would put money on there being a typical contra-lateral issue. left hind/right front.

he's slightly croup high, but just a hair.

i agree he has a great eye.
    i love eventers, some of my favorite clients. [​IMG]

i would suggest either a chiro or good muscle worker ~ or both and that hip issue will probably work itself out nicely with consistant training.

do some ground work with cavaletti and that will build his topline nicely,
    and don't forget to get the saddle fit! [​IMG]

looks like a pretty nice horse to me!

9. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Oh, don't worry, she has had him vet checked and he passed everything. I'm sorry...the pictures aren't really that great... he didn't want to stand still and in the "butt shot" actually took a step forward...hence his weight is coming off the right hind.

He definitely needs some work. I guess previous to her getting him...he was just kept out in a pasture for about a year, so she's gradually bringing him back into commission.

I'm not a huge thoroughbred fan... they are a great breed of horse, but I like something with a bit more bone and mass - I'm a stock horse and warmblood person myself. I think overall he built nicely, it's more of a matter getting him toned, back into work, and a nice overall "grooming" and farrier touch up. He definitely has the ability to go very far...he has been shown through intermediate in Eventing already...so once he' back to shape I'm sure he's going to be a blast. He was a bit underweight when she got him, so her first priority was getting some more meat on him (she succeeded - lol).

I do believe he is slightly toed out in both front and hind, but I don't think it's so severe that it would interfere with his movement. He also has very sensitive feet and needs shoes on all 4; however currently he only had them on the front (now one is missing so he has one... [​IMG] - poor guy)

Again, thank you all of your opinions and advice. She really appreciates it and said that once he's back into training, she would like me to post him again so you can see the improvements.

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    That would be great, to see pictures of him later!

TBs are my first love - I've worked with them since I was 13. I don't own one right now as I don't have the facilities for a higher maintainace horse, but you know I will again eventually!

Here is a great OTTB rehab facility and a very knowledgeable lady - she's 5 mins from my house (I am so lucky!)
    www.bitsandbytesfarm.com
    Wealth of info there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by