All you snake lovers...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by halo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I want an "attagirl". This evening I pulled out a bale of hay, and under it was a red rat snake. I didnt scream, or run, or my heart didnt start racing. It wasnt huge. It was all curled up, so it was probably 2 foot at least, but it was thin, not really fat. Im sure he's putting a big dent in the mouse population, I havent seen near the numbers of them, and I was wondering why. So as long as he stays out of the chicken pens, he can stay.

2. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I bet you won't have much trouble with that one since it's small. I had to deal with a 5 foot rat snake in the pen with my baby chickens/turkeys a few weeks ago. I never like to kill them if I don't have to (even the venomous snakes) but my family members were freaking out anyway b/c he was about 15 feet from the house. Good job not panicking! I probably would have been pretty startled and I'm not particularly afraid of snakes.

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I'm not a fan of snakes but I really try not to kill anything if I don't have to. I even have a rule of thumb in my house with spiders. They can stay as long as they stay out of my personal space.

The only exceptions are Black Widows and Brown Recluse. Although a Black House spider bit me in the ear 2 months ago and I was in pain for a week.

So if there's a snake around...it can stay...two conditions. If its not venomous and its not in my personal space.

Kudos to you for not killing it!

Laurie

4. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:If it finds it way to the chicken pen someday please box it up and send it my way. lol

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If he finds his way into the chicken pen with full grown chickens your chickens may discover a new delicacy amongst chickens. Good job on not freaking.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The red rat snakes we get in Florida are very docile, you probably could have reached out & picked it up. It probably won't ever bother your adult birds nor their eggs, but instead eat up lots of the mice & rats that come after the feed.

But they can eat baby chicks. I've lost a few, mostly at twilight or overnight, to these kind of snakes. I know, because I found one coiled around a chick it had just killed. Then the stinker didn't even consume it! It swallowed it up to the shoulders, then had to spit it out because it must have been too big to finish. I've found a few other chicks left in the same condition every so often, so I assume it was also done by the same kind of snake.

Now I bring my chicks up to the house to sleep in boxes until they're really big & chunky, to protect them from the snakes. And we now keep 5 of these red rat snakes as pets, all caught in the yard. But we now run a mouse ranch to feed them all.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Well, apparently I was running a Mouse Ranch, too, in my barn, which is probably why he showed up. Since he wasnt huge and black, it didnt scare me to death. I will leave him be and hope he doesnt give me a heart attack next time I see him. I do have baby chicks right now out in the kennel, but I run them back in a dog carrier at night and bring them inside, especially since I found Mr. Snake inside the barn on the other side of the wall where the kennels are.

I will say that my mouse population is waaaaay down, which is a wonderful thing.

8. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:LOL! True! My father use to always throw non poisonous snakes into our wood piles. Just freaked out the general populous

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Attagirl! [​IMG]

I like snakes just fine. I've taken care of a lot of snakes, and I've owned several myself. But even MY heart goes pitterpat when I discover one unexpectedly. It takes a moment to decide whether it's poisonous or not!

Good for you for not panicking!

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Good for you!

Last summer we were having a bad time with mice in the feed barn, one day I saw the tail end of a corn snake going into the barn and behind a bunch of feed bags. I wasn't about to move all that feed so I just told Sharon to keep an eye out for the snake. Within less than a week no more mouse problem. I hope it's still around!

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by