All your advice got us an egg!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrowingonFaithFarm, Jan 20, 2009.

1. GrowingonFaithFarm

GrowingonFaithFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Prospect, TN
    OK I may be a little more happy about this than I should be especially since these are not our first chickens but these are the first we raised from day old chicks.

Anyway, after all the wonderful advice we received and implemented we got our first egg today!

About a week ago I began turning on our coop light at 6AM and leaving it on till 8PM for our 7 month old pullets who had not yet begun to lay. I then read more on this wonderful sight and also began feeding my hens warm oatmeal (with a little cayenne pepper added in) and also kicked my four roosters out to free range while leaving the girls in the coop.

This evening I went to the coop to give the girls some warm dumplings from our dinner and low and behold there was an beautiful brown egg in the nest! I nearly burst a seam! This is our first brown egg since our other previous hens were only tinted egg layers and even though I know they taste the same I have wanted a brown egg for a long time.

My husband says that it probably sets the record for the most expensive egg ever produced but right now I think it is worth a million bucks!

Thanks for all of ya'lls help!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. fivestring

fivestring Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Nashville Georgia
    Congrats! I think I can understand your exuberance.

I am still waiting on my very first egg. I just added a 4:00-8:00am light to the coop last night, so I hope I join the ranks of the eggers soon.

And yes, I don't want to think what that first egg will have cost me!!

3. chickflick'92

chickflick'92 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    New York
    Congrats!! I can't wait until my chickens lay eggs. I think I'm going to try the warm oatmeal. They will love that.n[​IMG]

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yeh!!! I am with you . This fall when mine first layed I thought someone had pulled a trick on me and put an egg in the nest. I definely did a double take. I have a neighbor who was a suspect until they both began to lay the next day and he was gone. LOL I never did tell him that he was a suspect either. Shush. I was so HAPPY too. Congratulations on your new layer. jean

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Congradulations on your egg. I cant wait to get there.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Congratulations! Will somebody be having an egg for breakfast tomorrow? [​IMG]

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Congrats on the egg! It's so exciting to find the first one!

I'll never forget the day I found my first green egg from my EE (who I didn't know was an EE at the time). I was practically beside myself and must have made 1/2 dozen phone calls announcing the arrival of the unexpected green egg.

This hen took so long to lay that I was beginning to think that she was old (knew nothing about her when I bought her). But she has been laying green eggs consistantly ever since!

Hope you find many more eggs! Genie

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just how I felt when we got our first EE egg last Saturday.

We got another yesterday that was identical. Gotta love it.

(The one in the center!)

[​IMG]

9. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG]:cd:woot

I know how you feel. I have 3 laying hens. The RIR started laying 2 weeks ago. This weekend the Wyndotte and the Black Aus. started laying as well. It's a good thing, my husband had started calling the later 2 "Fried Chicken" and "Chicken Parmesean" I think they got the hint! It took a light to get ours to laying as well.

10. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:Can't wait for those colored eggs! I have a dozen EE's that are 7 weeks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by