alleged coon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rhoda_bruce, Sep 10, 2010.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    There is a rumor of a really huge coon in the general area. I am told it is bigger than my late dog, Spot, who was a 26 LB overweight rat terrior. I don't know if I believe that, but its time to find out. I have a Coop Knox, but there is such a thing as being 10 minutes too late to lock up and then I hear talk about nocturnal animals sometimes striking in the daytime. Well My dogfood container has been being dragged away and opened by something for the past 2 days. DH has been given the order to produce all the families traps and make sure they are in perfect working condition and set them.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh boy, I hope you catch it. Put something yummy in the trap like tuna fish........Or I think they like canned cat food........Make sure the bait is anchored (tied) in the back of the trap so they really have to yank on it to get it, thus springing the trap.......

Good luck, Rhoda

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

If ya catch it,.. post photo's! I know we have a big coon in our area,.. he leaves his poop calling card on my compost pile when he rummages through it,..I doubt it as big as the one you're speaking of though. sure hope you catch it!

4. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Quote:[​IMG] yes please post pics! I would love to see it!

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    whatever is in the bowl they are dragging away would be your best bait to use to catch them with

6. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Marshmallows and black licorice are great coon bait. They don't attract cats and dogs like the other baits mentioned here.

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been on my 'on time' and today is my first day off. DS caught one of our cats. I had told them to lock up the cats. I really hope the coon didn't see the cat trapped. I am afraid I credit them with a bit of intellegence. But I am an optimistic person by nature and I would rather the coon be caught while I am home, so I can better deal with it. I don't know how to post pics, but I will see to it that one of the kids help me with ya'll request. I have seen some big ones, but I don't know about over 26 LBs. DH agrees that they get that big. I might have to use my big stewing pot if so. Oh yeah.......its gonna be eaten.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    coon frequently get larger then 20 -25 pounds here they eat at the back of c-stores and fast food restaurants usually out of their grease cans

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:Deep-fried from the inside! [​IMG]

Rhoda - Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by