Allergic to my best friend

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
So I developed asthma about a year ago, fairly recently had allergy testing done and found out I had cat-induced asthma and a reaction to dog dander. I've been living with it for a while now, am on steroid inhaler 2x a day, rescue inhaler, and a prescription allergy pill, have been vacuuming the heck out of the house with hepa filter vacuums, and bathing the cats and dogs on a regular basis. And I am still getting worse and now that the windows are closed everyday its so much worse. I don't know what to do the cats are going to new homes that we have lined up, none of the cats are mine. But this morning I hugged my dog and shortly after had an asthma attack, so now I'm fully allergic to my dog. I don't want to give him up he's my perfect dog and best friend, its so unfair. I bathe him as much as he can stand without developing problems himself. But what can I do I pet him and it feels like I'm inhaling little pieces of glass into my lungs. Is there anything I can do to keep my pup, or do I need to say goodbye and re-home him for his sake and mine.

Also my insurance doesn't cover allergy shots and I live at least 50 miles away from anyplace that does them and can't drive myself either so allergy shots are out of the question, but my allergy doctor was doubtful they would help anyways in his opinion based on my medical info they may also be life threatening.

Have you tried air purifiers?

My husband has SEVERE allergies to the cat. We've been using the air purifier for about 2 weeks. He sleeps nice and soundly in our room (where the purifier is), but when out of that room, his allergies come back 10x. We are in the works for a much larger one soon.

One of the big things, is to make sure your dog sleeps in another room. From what I read about the cat allergies for Brandon, the bedroom is where things "collect" and will really cause issues with your allergies.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a mask for you to breathe through when at home? Also, check ALL of your filters in your house and make sure none are clogged up.

get rid of the carpets.... they hold the dander...

close your bedroom door... make your room a pet free zone

when the time comes to replace the sofa... go with leather or vinyl so that the sofa wont hold the dander

I am allergic to dogs (I have 4 of them), cats (I have 3 of them), Grass and trees (I live in the country)

I have slowly but surely removed ALL carpets from the bedrooms...I only have carpet left on the stairs. My upstairs is a dog free zone but my bedroom, the spare room,bathroom and the office are animal free zones

I have a hepa filter air purifier in my room and have been ok for a few years now I can still get stuffy and when I do I use the netti pot.. I am supposed to be on inhalers but i always forget and they expire before i use them up

I use swiffers... not brooms because they toss everything around to much

if all else fails you can get this for fido... (jk
gig.gif
)
http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=jnnproo4

Last edited:
you can also try changing your dog's diet to something really super high-end quality (think raw food or at least the super-premium kibbles) to reduce dander/shedding.

but if your condition is deteriorating... i know it's a very hard situation but you might need to rehome
sad.png
i'm sorry this is happening to you.

Quote:
gig.gif

flashbacks of grandmas house the formal living room.. the room NO ONE WAS allowed in... it was all covered in plastic

My mom has sever asthma. I live close so when she has a bad attack i can take her to the ER. She has not lived in a place with carpet since she was 18 and diagnosed. Everything is vaccumed everyother day along with curtains. I had a rabbit when i was younger and then had to get rid of him because he sent my mom to the ER every week. Few years later we got a dog with hypo-alergenic fur and she does not bother her one bit! I had to leave this dog behind when i moved because my appartment complex did not allow her breed. But she was fine with this one dog and had no problems. Then she got a dog of her own and had to be put on different medications again. She is on Humaira and some other form of allergy shot that also helps her asthma and now she can breath so much better. Is off some of the meds and is only doing breathing treatments once a day instead of 15 lol. If you are interesting in talking tot your doctor about the allergy shot let me know and i will find out the name for you. But it allows her to keep her dog and be able to live.

Back
Top Bottom