Allergic to my Budgies?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
When I was a kid, I was allergic to everything, including animal dander and birds- a tiny and shallow scratch from a chihuahua once had me hospitalized with a blood transfusion (later learned that it was due to a blood disorder).

But I've always kept animals. I just take allergy meds as needed. At some point, I stopped needing allergy meds and assumed that I'd outgrown the allergies or built up some immunity to the allergens.

But now...?
I've had my new budgies for a little while, and for days I've been getting nosebleeds. The kind that come randomly and start pouring all at once. I don't feel ill. My eyes aren't itchy and there is no congestion.

I am diligent about keeping the cage clean, changing out the lining up to twice a day, washing the food and water dishes once a day, and doing a thorough cleaning (washing the tray and stray feathers/seed shells from the corners/perches) weekly or bi-weekly.

My birds haven't bathed on their own, so I've started spray-misting them with water.

What I am getting at is, are my sudden nosebleeds linked to an allergic reaction to my birds? (I am the kind of person that won't go to the doctor unless there is something directly/obviously serious.) I picked up some allergy meds and nasal sprays, in case it helps.

Is there something more I should be doing with my birds, for cleanliness and to reduce allergy related issues?

Last edited:
From a fellow nose gusher who also happens to be allergic to everything, I find that I get nose bleeds waaay more readily in the winter because the heater dries out the air in the house. Have you tried putting a humidifier by your bed? It was unusually warm here for a while and in turn the pine trees dropped a lot of pollen even though it's still winter, well the combination of the pollen and my heat running was apparently a recipe for disaster because I woke up the following morning with a similar scenario to what you're describing.
So, yes, unfortunately it can definitely be nosebleeds as a result of allergies but if you're really attached to your birds I would try the humidifier first to see if that helps. I hope it doesn't result in you needing to rehome your feathered friends! :(

From a fellow nose gusher who also happens to be allergic to everything, I find that I get nose bleeds waaay more readily in the winter because the heater dries out the air in the house. Have you tried putting a humidifier by your bed? It was unusually warm here for a while and in turn the pine trees dropped a lot of pollen even though it's still winter, well the combination of the pollen and my heat running was apparently a recipe for disaster because I woke up the following morning with a similar scenario to what you're describing.
So, yes, unfortunately it can definitely be nosebleeds as a result of allergies but if you're really attached to your birds I would try the humidifier first to see if that helps. I hope it doesn't result in you needing to rehome your feathered friends! :(
Thank you for this response and understanding. The weather has been strange and fluctuating, and my heat has been running. Hopefully this is a matter of dryness rather than a negative effect from my birds.
I have no intention to rehome them. Especially since they've just started warming up to me and doing so well with being handled.

I have allergy meds and nasal sprays. I am washing blankets tonight and will try a humidifier as well.

i am allergic to bird dander but never gotten a bloody nose from them sounds like dry air but i would also get an air purifier aswellI cant have birds in my house as i cant breathe at all but i do have 3 in my bathroom for the winter but the rest live out in a shed i just open the bathroom window to get fresh air in so the dust isnt to bad

Back
Top Bottom