Allergies/cold/sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mouzekin, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mouzekin

Mouzekin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    We recently got new chickens and my silchins have been sneezing/coughing and closing their eyes. Just now one coughed(I think)...could be a sneeze... and a giant loogie flew onto the coop. It was clear and reminders me of mucus for a cold in a human. We have some serious pollen going on right now, is it possibly from that or should I consider treating for a cold? Otherwise they seem fine. Their faces are red(not much wattle to them... See profile pic) and I have seen them eating and drinking this morning.
    Edit:we just got these chickens Saturday and I'm totally new to them our first 4ladies.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would definitely treat that. Perhaps the new chickens were carriers to some type of virus, and even though they look healthy, this can be spread to other chickens.

I use a product called Denegard (it's actually a liquid advertised for swine), and it works great for the type of symptoms you describe. It does cost around $60 for a bottle, but the bottle is very large, probably a half gallon, and it lasts a long time. You put it into their drinking water.

If that's too pricey, you could try some Duramayacin, which is only $5.00 or so for a packet, but I find that it doesn't often work.

You could also give them some Tylan, and that's probably $29 for a bottle. It's a powder that you put into their drinking water. It works very well too.

Good luck and your chicken in the avatar is just darling!

Sharon

3. Mouzekin

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    Where can I get this stuff?

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You can find those products at your local farm store, (like Tractor Supply or Agland). The Denegard was kind of harder to find for me, but a store called PBS Animal Health had it.

Not sure what stores you have locally, but you can also get these products on the web. Hatchery websites sell them. Google those names and you can find the best price.

5. Mouzekin

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    I'm starting to have second thoughts about these chickens.... They are becoming super expensive with no benefit yet.

I paid $50 for 4chickens that I was told were healthy and already laying.

Not to mention all the money we spent building a coop,feed, bedding, and accessories.

:(

Any advice on how I should approach the seller about my issues?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by