Allergy Season is here.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I could move out of Phoenix from Feb 15th through June 5th.

I get little sleep and am miserable. I've tried it all. Zyrtec gives a little relief. I done the steriod thing. Doesn't work. One year I had a fellow give me a shot. It worked. He retired. Can't find anyone else to give me one.

Mulberry is the worst, cedar, orange, grapefruit almost any blossom just makes me miserable. Neighbors trees are blossoming at present.

Anybody in the desert southwest with possible solutions?... I've been to two different allergists. No help.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I know what you mean I don't have allergys but my DW and DD have them and are going through a tough time right now. I would not wish allergys on my worst enemys.

AL

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Mahonri, have you tried local bee pollen? Find a local bee keeper ( has to be in your area with same grasses, plants, etc.) Mix a teaspoon of bee pollen in your juice in the morning , it's a taste you have to get used to( kinda chalky but not bad tasting) but after about 6 weeks, you should feel some relief.

Good luck!

Nancy

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Bee pollen and honey.

Yes. Been there. Done that, got the T shirt, But thanks for the advise. One year it worked for about a week and then I was back to misery.... it was mid March back then... I've still got some.. .think I'll start it up again in a couple of weeks.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge here with 23,000+ members

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Yea my brother is a bee keeper [​IMG] According to him it can cure cancer! hehee but it has worked for my allergies.. gotta be consistent with it though. If the stuff you have was stored in the freezer, should be okay... otherwise toss it and get fress. Probably should anyway as different things bloom better some years than others so the fresher the better. Pollen is much better/effective than honey because the concentration is so much higher.

Good luck!

Nancy

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Hi! I also think i have tried every thing, but i think my Dr. has finally hit on something that is working for me. Lodrane 24. I am taking 2 at night. hope this helps. Micah [​IMG]

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am drowning as I write this from allergies! I've done the Zyretc, Allegra, Claritin routine...doesn't REALLY help. I have done the series of shots for years....very expensive...then you are left with finding someone to give you the shot and time to wait to see if you have a reaction to it. I simply don't have that much routinely free time.

Now, I am a self medicator of OTC meds...which barely help. I drink lots of fluids to try to thin out my membranes, but I have no answers, only sympathy for my fellow victims of allergies.

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I woke up extremely congested today. Im allergic to Almond and Walnut blossoms and we are surrounded by almond and walnut orchards, literally. They're all over, and Im allergic to them all! Grass as well, and I mowed the lawn yesterday because I was bored. I love Spring, but allergies suck.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm allergic to the world!! Every tree known to man! Grasses! Not to mention dust and mold!

Mahonri, when I lived in Tempe, those paloverde and olive trees would do me in every spring!! That was worse than the case of Valley Fever I got the first year I was there!!

10. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    It's a lot of fun (not!) being allergic to grass and living in the grass seed capital of the world. We're literally surrounded by the evil stuff. My car gets yellow every spring due to the nasty pollenses. yesss. preciousss nasty pollenses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by