1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Does anyone have any home allergy remedys?

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    local honey!

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    hot todys (but not for you), raw honey ... Mmmmmmmmmm What else...

4. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Do I just eat the honey or is there something else I'm supposed to do.

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

uhhhhhhhh

6. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    the theory with honey is it has microscopic amounts of allergens in it because the bees have visited a myriad of flowers, combining all of them in their liquid gold. You need to eat locally produced honey so you are being desensitized to locally produced allergens. It is similar to having allergy shots. It is exposing you to the allergens so your body can slowly become desensitized. One tsp a day is what I generally have seen recommended. My mom swears this helped her, she did this for several years, so please bear in mind, it is not an immediate fix, it takes a good while, but if it helps without exposing yourself to unnecessary pharmaceuticals, I'm all for it . God luck

[​IMG]

ETA, have you had allergy testing? If you are allergic to house dust, cockroach dander,mold, things like that, you will not be effectively reducing your sensitivity by using honey. It only works on plant based allergies

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Not helping with the allergies per se, but with the symptoms, the drinking of milk causes you to produce more mucous, so if you have allergies involving draining sinuses, it can make the symptoms worse.

8. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:no jen, it is supposed to help with the actual allergens by desensitizing you to it. By exposing yourself to microscopic amounts just as if you were getting allergy shots at an allergist. Now, this is not a controlled environment, you can't control what type and how much you are exposing yourself to. Dairy products tho can certainly increase the tenacity of mucus secretions

9. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I love Zyrtec for my allergies. It has been the best thing.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Me too but we're out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by