Allow me to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LifeAtTheVillas, Dec 1, 2014.

1. LifeAtTheVillas

LifeAtTheVillas New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi

My name's Bridget and I have a small flock (four hens) in our back yard - we've had them since they were tiny chicks and now they're five years old and laying fewer and fewer eggs... in the spring I am planning to increase the flock and buy some more but undecided whether I get chicks or point of lay birds.

I came across this website whilst surfing the net trying to identify why one of our hens (a Buff Orpington) is lame - at first I thought it was bumblefoot but on closer inspection I'm having doubts as there are no sores - black or otherwise - on the undersides of her feet. However, she has always been prone to scaly leg so maybe perhaps that's the cause... Anyway, the diagnosis is a work in progress and in the meantime she is being treated like a princess.

Anyway, It's great to know I'm amongst like-minded people and I look forward to interacting on this forum in the future.

Bridget
    LifeAtTheVillas

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. LifeAtTheVillas

LifeAtTheVillas New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Thanks for the warm welcome - great hearing from you all the way in New Mexico! If she's no better by the weekend I'll put some pics on BYC in case anyone has any ideas [​IMG]...

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Leg scale mites will cause lameness. Are the scales all raised and crusty looking? If so, you need to wash up the legs with some gentle soap and use vaseline on the scales every day. This will help to suffocate the mites and also soften the crusts. You don't want to pull them off. Let them fall off by themselves. A bad case can take months to heal. If you have any ivermectin, that will help with these mites as well. These mites can cause permanent lameness if it goes too long too.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    And you also need to dust or spray your nest boxes, roost bar, underneath roost bar especially. Mites love to hide under there. Clean out the coop weekly for a month to get a hold of all these pesky mites. :)

6. LifeAtTheVillas

LifeAtTheVillas New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Yes, a bit crusty in a couple of places. Thanks for the advice - I hope I haven't dithered too long and left it too late... wish me luck and I'll let you know how I get on [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sunshine sistas

Sunshine sistas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2014
    Welcome to BYC. Glad your birds could join ours ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by