1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Allow to prove sex or cull? Need your opinions please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lavisy, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Out of our 5 chicks it looks like we have 3 roos. Two are definatly boys as they both act rooish and are both crowing (very loudly!). However the third, called Yoko we believed is a roo isnt even attempting to crow and also doesnt act rooish at all. His comb is the only real rooish thing he has, but even then the wattles arent very big.

To be honest I think he is a roo, but im not not 100% convinced. On Tuesday we are taking them to a lady who can take them, but im not sure to take Yoko just yet.

So my questions are, do you think hes def a roo and should take him with the other 2 on Tuesday. Or take the 2 def roos and leave Yoko here to prove his sex?

Yoko is the most gorgeous chook we have, could he be a hen in discuise or a roo low in the pecking order, I really want to be sure.

Here is yoko at 3 weeks:
    [​IMG]

5 weeks:
    [​IMG]

9 weeks:
    [​IMG]

and finally at 3 months:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think I should do?

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh, cute little bugger! yep, looks to be a handsome boy you got there! he probably isn't dominant since the other 2 have been early crowers. i find the less dominant are good to keep for your head roo (if you are allowed to keep one!) they are usually gentile and especially like the affection you show to them. at least mine do!

what breed is he? besides the frizzled feathers, i can see he has the comb of a brahma but i wasn't sure if that is what he is or a cross of something else.

3. Lavisy

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    To be honest I have no idea. They are all crosses. They all came from the same crosses flock. I have one silkie x pekin, so I think maybe some pekin in there somewhere. But I really not sure hehe.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    just noticed, no leg feathers! has to be something else in there! are they from your flock or somewhere else?

5. Lavisy

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    They are from somewhere else, I didnt ask what the parents were and I cant seem to get in contact with her to ask. Yoko is the only one of the 5 with that kind of comb, so its hard to compare. Thats why we really want to be sure of the sex. We would love to keep him as head roo but we are not allowed to keep roos. If he keeps quiet then maybe, but what are the chances of a roo not crowing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    He's cute and looks like a rooster to me though .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That is definitely a roo. The comb gives it away as well as those legs.

If you can find a way to keep a roo from crowing you'll be a multimillionaire. [​IMG]

8. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    young roos will go through a cute squeaky phase of crowing that may actually get some neighbors laughing if they ever notice it! but being a bantam they get a little annoying when they are at full crow! if he is the only roo within ear shot you may be ok, since most roos crow competitively with a group of other roos around. they can go through periods of no crowing and then start for a few minutes and be done with it! you could always try and pass him off as a crowing hen! [​IMG]

i am residential hiding my roos in the garage from the neighbors! my neighbors haven't minded the young ones when they aren't loud outside but once they start crowing too early in the morning that is when i will get paranoid and remove them from their backyard coop. i do let a roo out in the afternoon to run with a few girls and get a little afternoon crowing out of the way and no neighbor complains so far. one of my roos only crows when i am not within eyesight working in the yard so i tend to let him play around longer than the others. my next door neighbors actually love it when he is out with me in the garden! they love his cute Polish hairdo too!

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

very cute! I'd try to find a way to keep that one, he's adorable!

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Red Cochin Frizzle x Brahma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by