allowing chicks in the yard?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenemother, Oct 26, 2010.

1. greenemother

greenemother Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    the Bayou
    Hi,
    I was wondering if it's okay to allow my 3 week old chicks to peck around in the backyard? Haven't done it yet. The temps here have been almost 90 degrees. Is it okay for them?
    Thanks~

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    yes

3. greenemother

greenemother Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    the Bayou
    Oh goody!!! Do I need to supply them with grit?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would be a good idea to gat some chick grit, yes. Or sand if you can't find chick grit.

5. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I let mine out at two and three days old when its that warm... They'll get grit from sand and other gravels and dirts they eat... May want to put a dish of sand just to be shure... You should have seen my week-olds trying to dust bathe in th mud,they were nasty for weeks and had a blackish tint to their fluff when the started molting... Stay away from wet sand,dirt,mud,gravel other earths as they WILL insist on gettin' dirty [​IMG] such a laugh [​IMG]

editied to say: They of course only "free ranged" In their make shift play pen made of cement blocks... Or just let'm play in the clovers and lay on your back wath the clouds and when they get cold or tired of playing they'll snuggle down wedged under "mommy" and nap till their warm or rested... I MISS THE DAYS WHEN THEY WERE CHICKS... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    They will ingest little rocks/pebbles/gravel when outside. Personally I have never had to supply grit to chicks or adults, though I do live in a particularly "rocky" state!

I love when I get to start letting chicks outside for their first brief forays in to the real world. Their first dustbaths are adorable. And don't be alarmed when they flop over on their sides and stretch out a wing or leg to soak in some sunshine! (Wow I really sound like a crazy chicken lady [​IMG])

7. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    We let ours out at that age as well. Though we did keep a very good eye on them. Don't want any predators to snatch them (we live near the woods). They're lots of fun to watch as they peck and scratch [​IMG]

8. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    it's very important to make sure they are in the shade though. they will wig out if you put them in direct sunlight. learned that one the hard way.

9. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    We put them out so that they have mainly shade but some sunlight available. We use a large circular babygate so we can move it around. They do like to sunbath a little. It's very cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by