Allowing eggs to hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by watchdogps, Jun 5, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I don't have chickens yet, and they will be my first. I may get a mixed flock from someone, and she says some of her hens are broody. I don't mind allowing a few eggs to hatch, as we will have lots of land and I want them to eat the bugs.
    However, I DO NOT want to get into incubating and stuff. Don't try to convince me, I have too many other things going on and I would feel terrible if I cooked or froze some chickies. What I am wondering is if I just allow them to hatch, can't they grow up naturally? My chickens will be free range, but I am guessing I should keep the chicks penned for a while. I do have cats that will kill small chicks. Is there a way I can set up the coop so that the chicks cant get out and the rest of the flock can get in and out at will?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

Not all chickens will go broody. If you have a rooster, then you will probably have fertile eggs but unless a hen goes broody, you won't get any chicks. IF you do, then I would suggest a board high enough for the chicks not to be able to get over but the chickens can get over with no issues. Enjoy your bug control! [​IMG]

3. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Ah! Thats what I do with puppies! Good idea! The lady I am getting them from (IF we get our new house) has already warned me that two of the hens are very broody.
    I was thrilled to find a nice number of birds that are already an established flock, because I didn't want to get chicks, and I know getting two birds here and two there can cause fighting. There are a dozen in this group, and they are all about 1-3 yrs old. I know the older hens may not lay much or for much longer, but that's okay they can stay and eat bugs. I dont mind being a chicken retirement home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by