allright, we decide to re-do the nest boxes--UPDATE W/ PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beach livin', Nov 5, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    we have decided that tomorrow we will go a different route with the nest boxes. the girls have taken to roosting on the edges, which in turn, ends up pooping in the current boxes. we currently use milk crates. tomorrow, we will cut an opening on the right side of the coop and build "exterior" community nesting box which will be in actuality located in the adjoining shed. meaning, i will have access to the eggs from the inside of the shed. the ladies will still have the roost above the entrance of the nesting area, and we are thinking about adding another roost opposite the existing one. so, that being said, would it be feasable to adopt 2 more hens? we would have 4foot long nesting box, and 8 feet of roost space. the run outside the coop is 96sqft. if we were to adopt 2 more, we would have a total of 6 BO's. below are pics of what the coop currently looks like.
    [​IMG] the roost is to the right, and we would cut the access below and have the boxes going through the adjoining wall.

this is before the roost went up. its a little clearer of a pic.
    [​IMG]

ALL DONE. HOPE THE GIRLS LOVE IT!!! compair it to the pics above [​IMG]
    [​IMG] added another roost also, and rotated the existing to back wall

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] inside the shed. indoor access for egg gathering, and will be warmer in winter
    [​IMG]with lid open

and my girls handeled the chaos pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks like plenty of space for six large hens to me.

4. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i apologize for the quality of my pics. we only have a handi-cam for taking pics. my kodak, which took awesome pics, was dropped one too many times [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    looks good to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by