1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alma, my little barred rock is almost 6 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by herechickchick, Mar 31, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    and BEAUTIFUL I might add! Thanks Cynthia for my very sweet little girl.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] Glad you got a sweet little BR girl! I just love my BRs for personality and curious nature, not to mention they are excellent layers.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    She is by far my favorite chick I have ever hatch. I do not bond with my chicks (I guess it is my work schedule). We always become very close once they are grown, but this little girl just loves to hang out with me, she is so calm and good natured. You right the Barred Rock temperament is second to non other.

Everyone get on the list for Barred Rock Hatching eggs from Cynthia, you will NOT be disappointed.

4. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

She is sweet! I have a question. Are Barred rocks a bit slow to mature? I have 20, almost 4 week old chicks. All are feathered out and growing well except for 2 of my barred rocks. They still have most of their down and hardly any feathers.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, actually, they are a relatively fast-maturing breed. Not sure what's up with that. This brother and sister are three weeks old in this picture-as you can see, they do have fuzz on their heads, but are feathered out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of my BR baby from last year. Lizzie is a Hawkeye/Lexie baby, and you couldn't find a more mellow, friendly personality. She was a solo chick, raised by a broody mama. She would follow Mom around for hours and get so tuckered out that she would crash on my lap. I just love her!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  7. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    What a sweet baby!

8. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Our BR chick is also a very slow grower. She is four weeks and all of the other breeds have way more feathers and are much bigger but the same age? We thought maybe ours was just the runt of the litter, or the hatch ? She is very sweet though and loves to be held.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by