Alma, my little barred rock is almost 6 weeks old

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
and BEAUTIFUL I might add! Thanks Cynthia for my very sweet little girl.

Alma01.jpg

She is by far my favorite chick I have ever hatch. I do not bond with my chicks (I guess it is my work schedule). We always become very close once they are grown, but this little girl just loves to hang out with me, she is so calm and good natured. You right the Barred Rock temperament is second to non other.

Everyone get on the list for Barred Rock Hatching eggs from Cynthia, you will NOT be disappointed.

She is sweet! I have a question. Are Barred rocks a bit slow to mature? I have 20, almost 4 week old chicks. All are feathered out and growing well except for 2 of my barred rocks. They still have most of their down and hardly any feathers.

Hmm, actually, they are a relatively fast-maturing breed. Not sure what's up with that. This brother and sister are three weeks old in this picture-as you can see, they do have fuzz on their heads, but are feathered out pretty well.
DCP_7249.jpg

Last edited:
June9051-1.jpg

This is a pic of my BR baby from last year. Lizzie is a Hawkeye/Lexie baby, and you couldn't find a more mellow, friendly personality. She was a solo chick, raised by a broody mama. She would follow Mom around for hours and get so tuckered out that she would crash on my lap. I just love her!

Last edited:
Our BR chick is also a very slow grower. She is four weeks and all of the other breeds have way more feathers and are much bigger but the same age? We thought maybe ours was just the runt of the litter, or the hatch ? She is very sweet though and loves to be held.

Back
Top Bottom