Almost 1 Week Old Chicks ~Pictures~ A Few Questions Too

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animalsroc4evr, Mar 24, 2012.

1. animalsroc4evr

animalsroc4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Hi all! I got my chicks (supposed to be 10 Cockerels, 5 RIR and 5 BR, and 4 pullets, 2 EE and 2 Golden Comets) Monday (3-19) from my feed store! I love my babies so much (and yes even the roos that will be Dinner when they are old enough...) I haven't had chicks (other than the Guineas and 4 "Pullets" Who turned out to be all roos I got from my nasty neighbor, long story, last year) since my now 2 year old hens! We got 10 "roos" for meat, since my dad wants to raise his own meat chickens... I'm not involved in that process, I'm just here to love and raise them up well until that day comes.... Anyways Ih ave a few pictures to share and a few questions to ask.

OK so I have 2 RIR that have their feathers developing just like my for sure girls, is it safe to say these chicks are definitely girls? or is it possible boys can develop feathers just as fast as the girls? I don't want to name them if they are gonna be roos... I love all the chicks, in fact the roos are really social with me, but I'd rather not name my food.... Also I had my mom pick up some Grit for me, is it ok to feed them a little grit so I can give them a few treats here and there or are they too young? the grit package says to not bother with grit or treats until they are at least 2 weeks.... But I'd like to ask here to make sure! My last question is in regards to my Golden Comets.... I read they are color sexed, but one of my "pullets" doesn't have the same rapid feather development as my for sure girl (see the pic below). So looking at the pic do I have 2 girls or a girl and boy? Thanks for all your help in advance and enjoy my pictures :)

[​IMG] Both Girls or do I have a roo?? :/

[​IMG] Surprise Hen?

[​IMG] The Roos, but sweeties

[​IMG] The girls and Possible girls....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    If you're uncertain about naming roosters - pick something that could go either way -
    like Wacko; Dumpling; Darling etc. And if you suspect roos - Stew; Fried; Roaster....etc.
    Sorry, can't answer any other questions, but thought you'd enjoy some name ideas.

3. animalsroc4evr

animalsroc4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    East Tennessee
    lol Those are excellent names for the roos! I've been calling them Little Chicken Nuggets. Thanks for the reply :) I might post in the gender section, that might be a better place for the questions, but I couldn't resist posting pictures of my little chicken loves :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by