Almost 10 week old SLW gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sixchickadees, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sixchickadees

sixchickadees Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I posted about my SLW, Sparrow, about 2 weeks ago. He/she is now almost 10 weeks old and I'd like to know what everybody thinks now. She seems to have quite the comb/wattles, as well as a very high tail which looks very roosterish to me. Is that just the breed, or does it indicate that she is a he? I can't tell if she has pointy saddle feathers because I don't know what to compare them to. These are our first chickens and we are totally new to this. Sparrow just stands more like a rooster than our other 3 girls that we are quite sure are pullets. She hasn't crowed yet.

Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Sparrow with our Buff Orpington of the same age:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like a girl....

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The white on the shoulders could mean roo...it did for mine. He also has that narrow lacing. If it that white continues to get bigger, Sparrow may need to be renamed Jack Sparrow...

Post an update in another couple weeks!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Quote:X2

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    For now I think a pullet, those white wing patches are more seen on a roo-but the shape of her and her head color/overall pattern makes me think girl. Is she hatchery?

6. sixchickadees

Jul 4, 2011
    Yes, she is from a hatchery. Why?

Thanks everyone!!! [​IMG] I am glad to hear that the consensus for now seems to be pullet. About 2 weeks ago everyone was saying roo! I'll keep an eye on the white on her wings, and post pictures in another few weeks.

7. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm thinking girl. My cockerels had larger patches of white.

8. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    sure looks like a Hen to me!

9. sixchickadees

Jul 4, 2011
    YAY!!! I accidentally got her age a week off. I had originally posted that she was 9 weeks, but she's actually 10.
    What makes her look like a hen? Everybody was sure she was a rooster at about 7 weeks because of her comb and wattles. Now are they not as significant for the age?
    We were pretty convinced that she was a he up until now because of the way she stands, her tail, and her comb/wattle. Do most SLWs stand very tall?

10. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    I am gonna say you have a pullet there too. She looks just like my hatchery SLWs did at 10 weeks. With hatchery the lacing isn't quite as precise, and mine at 19 weeks now are still not all the way laced. I thought I had pretty much all roos initially with the red combs and wattles so early but they are all girls. My GLWs also had the red combs and wattles early and they are all girlies too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by