Almost 3 month old silkie pullet with massive pupils.

Ravenwuffle

Hatching
Jul 17, 2017
She's not moving and doesn't want to do much. My mom gave her a water full of vitamin water and we tried giving her nutridrench but she didn't want it. Her pupils are just extremely dilated as far as I can tell because her eyes are dark naturally. She also doesn't want to have them open so I'm pretty sure that they're dilated. Is there anything else we can do for her and what is wrong with her?

Could be Mareks. Google ocular Mareks and see if that's what you are seeing.
I don't think so. It doesn't look like it. Also, they went down some overnight, but she doesn't react when I put my finger near her face so maybe she's blind, but there was food around the "Hospital wing" like on the floor and she filled her crop so she saw enough to eat whatever was around

E89C35C1-5F49-4BFC-B0AF-DF97EAA31610.jpeg
FF9699D4-6F6C-427C-BD65-3881D6801A9C.jpeg
822FC7E5-8C29-4E94-BA60-9D3F578F6BB1.jpeg
885FE7AB-5B7C-4DFC-9BA5-BE0622984898.jpeg
image.jpg
Can you post some photos of the eyes, your pullet and her poop?
She doesn’t want to stand and doesn’t acknowledge the food I put down and still swivels her head. I don’t think she can see

@Eggcessive ?

Does it look like part of the cornea is raised?
Any response if you move your hands around the face/eyes?

View attachment 1408298
No and no. It's just dark..I can't really tell much. She doesn't respond at all but knows the waterer has water in it. I gave her grapes and she sipped the juice from them and will nibble around my fingers. I don't know if she's fully blind, but my mom mentioned maybe she got hit in the head by something, she says if she's fully blind we'll have to get her put down. She doesn't want to deal with another special chicken because we have quite a few.

Not wanting to stand could be due to difficulty seeing, but it could also be a symptom of disease.

What are you feeding her? I would get some vitamins into her, see that she is drinking even if she needs help. Also see if she will eat her normal feed either wet or dry. Wet is probably easier.

I think my mom put nutradrench water in her waterer and I watched her drink some. Also gave her some dry and wet food. She got some of it in her beak and her crop is partially full. I do think the standing issue is due to sight because I let her out of her area and she walked a little, tried to walk into a crate with firewood in it and then I put her back because the house bantam rooster we have tried to attack her

Back
Top Bottom