1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost 3 week old baby barred rock chick.. need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FancyChiknGirl, Mar 13, 2016.

1. FancyChiknGirl

FancyChiknGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    First off let m start by saying how wonderful and informative this website has been to me for almost a year. Last June, i bought 20 RIR, Cuckoo marans and black australorps at 3 days old. I raised them inside until they were 6 weeks old. Built their coop then put them out there. They are now 41 weeks old and absolutely precious! I also bought 5 (ameraucana, cochin maran, white cochin, orpington batam cochin and a buff orpington) in august. I get 19 eggs every day. I lost the orpington batam to the terrible flood we had in south carolina in october. I lost a cuckoo maran to sour crop because i caught it too late and i lost my beautiful whiye cochin to a feeder accident. (The feeder which had the big round cylinder with the pan at the bottom, the spring had caught her in the beak and i guess she flapped so much she broke her neck). Its spring time now and im loving the weather. I also got chick fever and i now have 36 ( barred rock, buff orpington, amber star, RIR, and ameraucana) more that i have in a nice set up in my house. We also bought a big wooden cabin shed that we are going to use as our new coop with a bigger run and bigger coop. Last night, one of my almost 3 week barred rock chick was just standing in the brooder, breathing heavy and fast, eyes closed, havent seen it eat or drink..when i picked her up, she doesnt move or anything, she just opens her eyes then closes them again. I tried giving her with a syringe some room temperature sugar water ( thought maybe she might be dehydrated ) but she barely got any down. I have no clue what to do. I raised 20 3 day old chicks without any problems except a couple had pastey butt but this time around, i have a new experience. Any ideas or suggestions? Anything i can do? Thanks!
    -FancyChiknGrl

I posted this thread earlier today and got a reply to post over here and to explain the symptoms.

The symptoms are:
    Fast breathing, not standing, eyes closed, when i pick her up she opens her eyes but then closes them right back, not eating or drinking.
    I did syringe feed her a little suagr water again and she did poop one time. Last night when i tried feeding her the sugar water, she kind of regurgitated it but she didnt today.
    I also took her away from the others with her own food and water.
    Sorry this post is so long, i just try to be thorough to get correct information. Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At three weeks coccidiosis may be a problem. The symptoms are lethargy, not eating, sitting hunched over or puffed up, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea with mucus or blood. Corid is the treatment. Corid powder dosage is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water, while the liquid is 2 tsp per gallon. Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine may be used if you cannot find Corid, but Corid is easier on them, and treats more strains

3. FancyChiknGirl

FancyChiknGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    Thanks, i appreciate the information and will keep it for future reference. The baby chick passed away last night.. I'm sad but relieved at the same time because i hated to see her suffer and didnt know what to do for her. Thanks again.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by