almost 3 weeks on.... chickies are doing great!

AEJEfarm

Chirping
Apr 25, 2016
My chickies were born on April 27th, delivered to me on the 29th from chickensforbackyards.com. I ordered a silver laced Wyandotte, a buff orpington, a barred rock and an RIR. they sent me an extra RIR, so we had an extra surprise! all of them were awake and happy when we took delivery. They went into the brooder and had manna pro medicated starter feed and took to it well. the Buff had "pasty butt" for a few days but used the clean + vaseline method and it cleared up almost immediately. almost 3 weeks on now and everyone is doing great! the buff orpington, named Luna Lovegood is the "lapdog", comes running to us and loves to climb on us when were sitting with them. We like to give them at least half an hour per day outside as long as the weather permits. Only real thing that has gone wrong since getting them is that after cleaning out the brooder, the heat lamp unscrewed itself from the fixture just enough to stop working around 9pm one night. I noticed it the next morning but the chicks were perfectly fine and happy. I was relieved! Theyre on Purina start and grow feed now, eating and drinking well. Once they've eaten all of that ill switch them over to something organic and non-medicated. nothing to complain about so far! they're pretty animals and smarter than people think.

2 RIR's- Aurora and Robin
silver laced- Margaret Hatcher (maggie)
Barred Rock- Hermoine Granger
Buff- Luna Lovegood
(can you tell my wife is a Harry Potter Fan?)

(this is not a current picture, the heat lamp has since been raised up quite a bit)

Back
Top Bottom