Almost 31 Weeks & NO EGGS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4boysmama, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 4boysmama

4boysmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am beyond myself, I don't know what the problem is. We have Ameracauna and Buff Orpington. They were hatched on April 6th 2009, which was almost 31 weeks ago. And I have YET to see any eggs from ANY of them!

Around August, I expected them to start laying anytime, so I switched from the grower feed to the layer mash. They are free range, and have even had free range of my garden (I didn't get anything out of it, the chickens took it all!). We give them apples & other fruit & veggie scraps. Nothing out of the ordinary. We have Barred Rocks & RR's and they have started molting (they are 3 1/2 years old), and are down to producing 2-3 eggs a day. But the new ones haven't produced ANYTHING!

I also change water DAILY, and they have 5 nesting boxes.

The combs are red, there are actually 3 roosters, and there are 12 Ameracaunas and 9 Buff Orpingtons...

What is going on here? HELP! [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds to me like they are laying them elsewhere and you haven t found thier stash .. Watch them for a few days and see where they run off too... Look for a few waiting like they are in line

3. 4boysmama

Jan 30, 2009
    NE Indiana
    They do make bee lines to the garden & apple trees. But we built a new coop, and I actually kept them shut in it for about 6 days, and there were no additional eggs those days (beside the 2-3 from the older chickens). I have also checked their spots between the barn & the garden... nothin...

Not many places to hide them I'm afraid...

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never had an Orpington go that long without laying, I'd say they have a nest place somewhere you have not found.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:If theyve only been in the coop for 6 days I would say they are just getting used to it.. My girls went off laying for two weeks in the new coop .. But I can still almost garuntee that they have some hidden soomewhere.. I cant see them waiting that long to lay .. Are they by any chance molting.. Or have you changed there feed..

6. 4boysmama

Jan 30, 2009
    NE Indiana
    My older girls are DEFINITELY molting. But I am not finding any feathers from the new ones. They are fluffy and gorgeous.

I will go out this afternoon and re-look in their spots where they lay and hang out. (Under a grape arbor...) We have recently cleaned out much of the areas too, because we got sheep. (THe sheep are not around the chickens yet, though. )

Thanks!

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Good Luck ... Its frustating when you put soo much time...

8. 4boysmama

Jan 30, 2009
    NE Indiana
    OK, I checked out all of the usual hang out spots. Nothing. There aren't many places for them to hide their eggs. They are mostly in a pasture area, and lean-to & coop. A few of the Americaunas get out through the fence, and go to the garden & apple trees. In the pasture there is no where to hide, and they mostly stick in the lean-to and area outside of their coop.

Feed hasn't changed, we have got it from the same mill for a long time.

Hubby is ready to start making them dinner. And feeding 4 growing boys, I need the eggs! I hope they start laying like TODAY!

9. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to put them in the pot myself!!!

10. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I know how you feel. I had 2 BLRW and 1 Dominique hatch on April 6, 2009 also. My Dominique has been laying now for about 1 1/2 months and the 2 BLrw's are still freeloading!!! Nothing, zilch, the one has red comb and is letting my sily roo try to mate with her, so maybe soon it will happen. I sure hope so. i am getting 1-2 eggs a day from 11 hens [​IMG] and have bought eggs from other farms already. Shouldn't have to do that when you have your own chickens!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by