Almost 5 month old BO...segregating herself in the coop? Think trying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    to lay? IDK!? This is my 1st time with chickens so I have no idea what "signs" to look for--other than an egg. lol...but I tried to offer oyster shell to all my girls and there not liking it!? WTCrap do I do then? *Praying* she lays a healthy perfect little egg!!! She's always been a loner but???

2. Pamjay

Pamjay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    They lay when they're ready- it's very individual. My bantam wasn't supposed to lay for 9 mos but she started at 6 1/2. My buff orpington was supposed to start at 7 but waited until 10. It's hard to believe but eventually it will happen.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I don't know but I'm interested in the answers you get. I have a 17 week old ee with a red comb that squats for the rooster. She has been spending a lot of time in the coop too. Today when I was cleaning she didn't want to go and kept looking around. ??? All the others were free ranging? I know you can put your fingers on their bums and if there is a distance of 3 finger widths between two bones somewhere in there they are ready to lay. One finger width not ready. Obviously I think you would need more precise instructions to figure that one out. This one in question, (Lu Lu) was free ranging with her butt in the air and her vent was kind of pulsing. [​IMG] Things to make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM.

If there are some other tips on what else to look for I'd love to hear them. How old is yours? Did you just offer the oyster shell free choice? I haven't done that yet but I have a few others with very red combs so I think I'll get some although it seems early.

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    They were born March8th..so almost 5 months? Maybe still early...but she's the only one segregating herself to the laying boxes so i figure she knows what shes doing! I did off the oyster shell free choice but it doesnt look appealing and maybe they know that. LOL...there not free-ranging=I'm TOO SCARED! [​IMG] So, only out when Momma (AKA, ME) has her eyes on them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by