Almost 5 week old chick not acting like the others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FirstTimeFlock, Apr 13, 2017.

1. FirstTimeFlock

FirstTimeFlock Out Of The Brooder

Please watch the video in the attached link & give me your opinion if you think the Spotted Sussex chick (brown with white spots) in the back is sick.

I know that one of the Sussexes has had loose poops, but I haven't seen any blood in it & we just got the chickens 3 days ago so I was wondering initially if it was just stress. (The drive was 1.5hrs to get them home then new environment, new home (which may have initially been colder than what they're used to), new food (medicated vs unmedicated starter mix; wet food vs dry food), plus a number of other changes! My husband & I did our best to examine everyone's vents last night & didn't see any poopy tail feathers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. FirstTimeFlock

I should also mention that I've been adding a small amount of some apple cider vinegar to their water & tonight I added some dried Parsley, Oregano & Thyme to their food. Thinking of adding some Super Boost to their water too. Any thoughts?

3. jmurf

jmurf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2017
    SE Louisiana
    Looks very similar to what I've been dealing with. I had 5-6 week olds, 2 Barred Rock and 2 EEs. They shipped Monday and I picked them up Wednesday. By weds evening one of the BRs was lethargic, puffy, with her head pulled in. She was still the same yesterday morning. I went home at lunch to separate her and she had died. At that point also, the other BR was starting to display the same. I posted here and received advice to start Corid treatment. I separated the BR, and started Corrid for all of them. I cleaned out the main coop where the EEs are and replaced all the bedding and liner. The EEs are full of energy, eating, scratching, and running around.

The BR had blood in her poop last night. Thought I would find her dead this am. To my surprise, she was still alive. She is drinking, but not eating much. I just mixed some treated water with her starter crumbles. Saw her eat a decent amount of that. We'll see how it goes.

Mine yesterday morning with the lethargic one in the back
    [​IMG]

Yesterday afternoon, after one of the BRs died, with the other starting to display the same symptoms. The EEs were jumping up and down on the roost, would bump her, but she wouldn't move. Just stood with her eyes closed.
    [​IMG]

4. FirstTimeFlock

Thanks! I read your post & our situations do sound similar, but my SS isn't as lethargic & listless, I think. I checked on them this morning & all of them were running trying to get away from me & I still haven't seen any blood in their poop (which is a late sign of the disease, I believe).
    I am adding dried herbs to their food because I've read about some of the benefits of them such as boosting their immune systems. I've decided to also add the Super Boost (includes antibiotics, electrolytes, & vitamins) to their water. I haven't separated any of the birds yet, but that will be the next step if needed. I'm hoping that I won't need to though.

5. FirstTimeFlock

Both the SS ran out to their food & water when I changed it this morning. They appear to be more active. I'm going to continue to keep a close eye on them, but I'm hoping that they are all ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by