almost 5 week olds

Kanga77510

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Santa Fe, TX
I'm counting my babies at almost 5 weeks. We brought them home on Nov 2nd, so I'm counting that as a hatch date. They were kind of feathered out when we got them, wing feathers but still fluffy. They've grown like weeds, and have most adult looking feathers in.

So what can I expect for the next few weeks? They've been playing outside during the day, and sleeping in a cage in the chicken shed at night (it was in the 40s or 50s) and doing OK. It's dropped to the 30s or lower for a couple of nights so I've brought them inside for a night or two.

When can they go in the big run with the hens? And how do I do it? Sneak them in at night and let them loose? Introduce them during the day?

most recent pic, taken before Thanksgiving. Neck feathers and heads are almost all filled in now.

IMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:
I don't put little ones with adults until they are 15 to 16 weeks old, otherwise they'll be picked on too much.

Quote:
Wow, so I still have many weeks to go. This is why I told DH I wasn't too keen on having babies. There's no way I'm letting him hatch out some before he deploys. The next batch is all his--in 2011! LOL

Back
Top Bottom