almost 6 month old speckled sussex pullet-loss of balance, can't walk,

pastrymama

Songster
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Phoenix
1) What type of bird , age and weight. STANDARD SPECKLED SUSSEX, ALMOST 6 MONTHS OLD, MAYBE 2 POUNDS
2) What is the behavior, exactly. SUDDEN ONSET OF LOSS OF BALANCE, CAN'T WALK, RUFFLED UP FEATHERS, FALLS DOWN
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? SINCE THIS MORNING
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. NOTHING
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. MANNA PRO LAYER CRUMBLES, DRINKING, FORAGING, ALFALFA
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. NORMAL
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? CONFINEMENT WITH FOOD AND WATER, SCRAMBLED EGG(SHE WOULDN'T EAT IT)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? TREAT MYSELF
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. HOUSED WITH 13 OTHER PULETS IN A SEMI ENCLOSED COOP. BEDDING IS PINE SHAVINGS. JUST CLEANED THE COOP LAST FRIDAY, NO CHEMICALS AT ALL.

I have checked her for lice/mites,, fond none. She was dusted 2 weeks ago with poultry dust and wormed back in december with safeguard paste. Note, when I dusted her 2 weeks ago, i held her upsidedown and dusted like instructed and when i put her back down, she did a few sommersaults and couldn't walk for about 10 minutes. She is very small, she is a runt and is lowest in the pecking order.

This is my 4 year old son's bird Spice, his absolute favorite. She was fine yesterday. She is not vaccinated for anything. I just don't know what this is.

Have you checked her crop? (right front, just above the breast) Frequently, a lack of appetite indicates a crop issue, either sour crop or impacted crop. It should fill up during the day and empty out (get flat) at night.

The normal poop makes me wonder though. Leg paralysis can also be caused by many things. The foremost that comes to mind, if she is the one only afflicted, is she may have found a speck of moldy feed?

she is eating some. i took her out of the dog carrier to change the bedding, normal poo, and she did a face plant right on her beak, repeatedly, wings flapping around, butt up in the air, she could not get upright at all. knock on wood, everyone else is fine. she is in my laundryroom. what in the world? she has been sleeping on and off all day.

I am certainly not an expert, but it seems that I read a lot on here about vitamin deficiencies causing neurological problems like loss of balance and inability to walk. A lot of people seem to have success with vitamin drops.

Hope she gets better!

It's tough to say - like the others said, her symptoms are common in many diseases and could also be caused by something she ate (aspergillus or botulism) or didn't eat (vitamin deficiency).

I'd start her on vitamins right away (polyvisol drops - no iron) and watch for new symptoms.

Is she still having a loss of balance or are her legs actually paralyzed (can she stand)?

she won't stand at all, unable to stand, she just falls over. not eating or drinking, very sleepy, very quiet. she went from being wobbly and standing to this in less than 12 hours. my husband is going to get the vitamin drops this morning as i will be on a field trip with my twins all day today.
sad.png
i don't know what else to do for her.

Quote:
Almost sounds like an RNA or NDV Virus (Newcastle) That is one I know of that moves really quick and causes those symptoms. There are a few other conditions that might cause those symptoms.....but all of them are viral and have a high mortality rate. Do you have any Oxine or can you get some quick? You can fog her a few minutes a few times a day and pray....that is all I can think of as I am certain it is viral based.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom