Almost 6 week old BA's (I think) ??? only 1 roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jamband, May 18, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I posted a few weeks ago trying to figure out what my were supposed to be BR chicks really were......I think they are Black Australorps now??
    They are about 6 weeks now.
    Also trying to figure out sex on them i have 29 and only one has a much more developed wattles and comb and much pinker also. Trying to figure out if he is the only he of them all or just developing faster.....here are some pics starting with him

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now some of the others.....I know the pics are not great.....any looking roo like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I think your supposition is right! They are definately not BR, my guess would be Australorps too!

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:x2

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Yeah I def know not BR....a few folks said BA's and from other pics that what I think

5. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    more so trying to see if there is more than one rooster

6. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    I have 2 BA in my assorted breed flock. I ordered all pullets and they are nearly six weeks old. I believe you are right about your suspicions of the one being a rooster. My two BA are not developing larger comb or wattles (yet, fingers crossed).

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Yep thats a boy. I have 2 BA's and had 2 boys that I rehomed last summer.

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    yeah I was pretty sure he was a he.......do they all tend to develop about this age?? non of the rest are close. I mean combs are beginning to grow but not like that and def not that color.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your girls should start getting wattles at 9 to 10 weeks. About 12 to 13 weeks the chirp changes to a cluck. Where did you buy your black birds? A hatchery or breeder? If they had Plymouth rocks then they very well could be black rocks. If from a hatchery then most likely Australorp. I'll post a pic of my 5 week old black rock. You'll see it's the same, you can't tell the difference until adults.

Ok, I found a pic from last week which is 4 weeks old. She is much darker now with just the white under neck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    ^^

that would be cool to see a pic......I got them from a lady with a bunch of breeds but I was initially told BR....obviously wrong..... They had BA's, BSL, and other black chicks as well but they were not helpful at all when I called them back. They are super friendly...........would any other roos already have pink comb and wattles or could they still come out later?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by