almost 6 weeks old time to go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleChickenGirl2011, Nov 22, 2011.

1. LittleChickenGirl2011

LittleChickenGirl2011 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    I was planning on putting htem outside this weekend on their 6th week.... but the weather is getting quite chilly... highs in the 50's and lows often in the mid 30's to low 40's. Sometimes there are freeze warnings during the night... is it too cold for them?

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Are they fully feathered? No fluff left, even on their heads?

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You may need to provide a heat source for the chicks. At six weeks, I can imagine that the chicks will be able to handle freezing temperatures. It better safe than sorry.

4. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I put mine out in those temps at 5 weeks and they are fine. I did provide a heat source but they havent used it. The sooner you put them out the better, it's only going to get colder, I would provide a heat source.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We haven't even gotten to official winter yet. [​IMG]

Those temps are very manageable for a 6 week old chicken. If you wish, provide some supplemental night time heating. A lower wattage bulb, at night only, would allow them to acclimate to the outdoors just fine. The kindest thing you could do. It is going to get colder, that is for certain. Nature uses these cold November days and nights to prepare them for what is coming. The down and feathers will adjust, they'll huddle together and they will be just fine.

6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    In winter, i put my chicks at 6 weeks in a heatbox pen until the are 8-9 weeks old to adjust to the temps. Then i turn the bulb off and release them 2 weeks after,to an outside run. I have a 10 x 2 1/2 feet run, inside a (non-heated) building, with a heatbox that is 2.5 x 2.5 x 2 feet that has a 25 watt bulb in it. I keep the food and water at the other end of the run, so they will have to wander in the colder temps to get food and water. I have not lost one chick to cold temps this way.

7. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Just put my 5 week olds out last night. Only got down in the upper 40's, but there's a stretch of low 30's coming up. No heating or lighting. Got them ready by not providing a heat lamp at night their final week in the house brooder. Only ones I'm a little worried about are the Turken who, of course, have no feathers on their necks. But they are apparently a cold hardy breed so they should handle it. They're in a small coop on a dirt floor with 6 to 8 inches of old and new pine chips and poop. Should be some nice composting going on out here to provide a little extra heat. They'll bunch up if they get cold and get through the night...

8. chicklove93

chicklove93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    NEPA
    I placed my 5 week old chicks out last week. Here in ther north it's been low 20's at night and they did just fine. One night i forgot about the heat light and they were fine. They also have feathered out.

9. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I plan to move everyone into the same coop this weekend since it's supposed to be beautiful here (60s daytime and 50s nighttime). My 8 babies are 6 weeks old today. They'll be moving into the coop with 3 15 week olds and 2 19 week olds.

[​IMG]

10. LittleChickenGirl2011

LittleChickenGirl2011 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    46 degree low tonight. Most have no neck fluff, a couple have a tiny bit left.... I will have them in a shelter that is not open to the wind. The bedding is fairly thick and there are spots to get off the ground of needed. will they be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by