1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost 7mo chickens still not roosting at night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShadyHillFarm, Oct 17, 2013.

1. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Is this normal?? They do roost. We have two perches both a 2x4, one about 3 feet off the ground, the other about 4.5-5ft. They are free range, but every night when I go to shut up the coop, they're all huddled together in the corner. I thought they should be roosting by now. [​IMG]

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    We've had that happen before. What I do is putting them on the perch at night so they wake up and think it's what they naturally did. After a couple tries they finally learned. Hope this helps!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    That sorta thing happens with my chickens too. There isn't something wrong with them or anything, I think they just prefer to cuddle on the ground then to roost.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I had six that slept on the floor in a pile until they started to lay, then they started to roost.

Chris

5. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Well, that's another issue altogether. Almost 7mo and they haven't laid yet. :(

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have 10 Black Australorps that are over 1 1/2 years old that still prefer to huddle in a group on the ground.
    If it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me

7. 1kokikoki

1kokikoki New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Tucson, Az.
    [​IMG]I raised my Americauna chicks from 1 day hatchlings. The brooder was in my house. When I moved them out to the coop at 8 weeks old they all did the same thing huddling in a corner on the ground closest to my house. After losing 2 of them to predators I was worried. My coop is pretty well predator proof except for small rats and sparrows or snakes, nothing bigger than that can get in. I think they are trying to be as close to the only real home and flock they know. Me. So I added 2 new roosts about 2 feet off the ground in the corner nearest my house where they have been huddling. They did not use it the first night, but I am glad to report they are using it now. Here in Arizona we have carnivorous rodents . They can chew off the juvinile poultry head and drag the body off in a corner. Maybe moving the roosting spot in the coop closer to you might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by