Almost 9 week old goat with soft poop

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dorothy1324, May 8, 2009.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Ok so here is my question (some of you probably remember me from a few weeks ago posting about my doe dieing. so now i am being a super mamma hen with these little boys)
    So yeasterday one of the little boys seem to have soft poop not at all diareah just soft sort of resembeling dog poop. here is the scoop i am feeding them 2 times a day powdered replacer about 20 oz each feeding they eat hay and very little grain and have reacently been eathing a lot of green stuff that has been poping up. I have treated them for cocci right after Mom died on a 5 day treatment. I also vacinated them for CD+T on Saturday the 2nd. I watched him very closely yeasterday and poop squishy in morning then tword the afternoon a little more formed but the little poop balls were all stuck together. his brother seems fine and is pooping normal. I know this is long but i wanted to include all i could. Also he is acting fine. So what i am wondering is if anyone has any advice or if i should just wait it out. I ordered some pro bios from Jeffers today

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    [​IMG]

3. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

You may want to do the 5 day cocci protocol again. Many breeders treat them monthly until they are a year old. I do it until about 4-5 months. Last year I had some that kept getting it. I felt as though I was constantly treating. This year very little of it.

4. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    Is there someplace that i can order this stuff online or in store so i do not have to go to my vet to get it? i do have the sulfer meds that you mix in the water that i have used for my chicks do you think it would be ok to mix it in there bottle.

5. lilhill

lilhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Alabama
    You can order the DiMethox 40% from Jeffers Livestock and maybe Hoegger's Goat Supply has it in now. It was unavailable for a few months until they got their patent renewed or something like that. Now it's on the market again. You draw it up in a syringe and then remove the needle and give it orally.

6. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    i just red that i can give them the Sodium Sulfamethazine 12.5% at a rate of 1 ml per 5 lbs on fiasco farm website does anyone have experience with this? Does it work? I do have some of this on hand that i used with our chickens for cocci.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    have reacently been eathing a lot of green stuff that has been poping up.

Unless the poop is BLACK, there's your "problem".
    It's really nothing to worry about​

8. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:Unless the poop is BLACK, there's your "problem".
    It's really nothing to worry about

Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking. When I let my adult goats out to graze in the yard a lot of times their poop gets that way. Perfectly normal.

9. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

OK so I think I missed the age and if they have just recently been let out on pasture. But I would think the greens OR possiby (especially if they have just gone on pasture) worms.

10. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    I was thinking that that might be what did it. I have ordered ivomec from jeffers and it should be here next week should i wait untill then to worm or go get some safe gaurd and use that today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by