almost 9 wks old--and still don't sleep on roosts!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmc, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    27 RIR and Brahmas

They still just pile up in the corner of the coop floor (10 x 16), even though i have roosts of various sizes and heights for them.

SOME use them SOMETIMES in the day, but never, never do the have the urge to use them at night.

I do hope they will get it.............[​IMG]

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Some of my 4-year-olds STILL sleep on the floor! [​IMG] Guess it's all about preference!

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you. surely someone else might have something to say........[​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll eventually get it. Put a temporary roost about 1 or 2 feet off the floor.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have 18 8 to 10 wk olds that sleep in a pile on the floor also. Last year I had 12 that did the same thing. It took them almost 4 mos before they started useing the roosts. Eventually, the light bulb goes off in their heads, and they'll start using the roosts at night. I have one hen from the 12 last year, (That's another story) using the roosts. You would think the youngsters would see that and get the idea, But no, not yet. One day they will.
    Jack

6. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    i had to teach mine to use it by setting them up on the roosts while they were sleeping. took about a week to train them. otherwise they were in the nestboxes...yuk.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I feel your pain, my babies just turned 15 weeks and I finally FINALLY find them on the roosts in the morning. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Marylizbet

Marylizbet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Mine slept on the floor forever! Then one day, they all hopped up! Yay! They now sleep on the HIGHEST roost.

9. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you, i see there is hope for the kids. actually, when they are all getting into bedtime mood, some of them start craning their necks upward and pacing back and forth like 'i wanna go up on something'; others will actually get on some of the various roosts. BUT the growing crowd of their fellows in the corner is too much to resist, and they all jump into the pig pile. cute.

though i will be glad to see them 'graduate': all 27!

thanks folks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by