1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost a disaster....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dawg16, Apr 13, 2011.

1. dawg16

dawg16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    I've been waiting on my coop. I've had my 4-5 week old pullets in my brooder. I'm new to this, but I knew that it was alilltle over crowded. I was in out of my shop all morning, but within minutes, the pullets started pecking on two of the smaller ones. When I got to them, they were bleeding pretty good. I got them out and put them in a seperate cage. I think if I wouldn't have come in when I did, they would have killed them. Boy, did I learn a lesson!!!! NO OVERCROWDING!!!

2. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Good thing you got there in time and glad the little ones will be ok! I worry about this situation when mine get bigger. How many do you have and what size brooder if you dont mind? Im trying to figure out if my brooder is going to work for the full 5-6 weeks. [​IMG]

3. dawg16

dawg16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    I read some figures on this site, can't exactly tell you what it is, but I knew I was over the limit! I've got 18. I've raised them in a big stock water tank. Don't take any chances, it just took them a short amount of time for them to get bored and over crowded to start the whole mess. They are all good this morning, and the wounded ones looked good this morning also.

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I started off with the big tupperware storage tub. As they get older I took a big cardboard box and made it into the new brooder. Lots more room and the 2 older ones can get away from the heat lamp while the younger ones still have the luxury. Best use for the Ab Glider I've found yet was the box!

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im glad to hear you got to them in time.

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i'm glad the little ones are ok, i've got to make my younger ones a bigger brooder before they start pecking they were supposed to be going into the big girls brooder when the big girls were 6 weeks old but hubby still doesn't have the coop even started and my big girls are 6 weeks old and ready to get out of their box

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I've seen on this site 1 sq foot per chick, but don't remember what age that goes up to before the sq foot needed per chick goes up. Right now I have 23 in a 3x3 puppy play pen. I will need to move them this weekend to the 5x5 penI have setup in the basement. I like them up stairs where I can keep a better eye on them at first. Mine will be just under 2 weeks when I move them. They grow so fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by