Almost a gonner ....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by demerson, Dec 4, 2011.

1. demerson

demerson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    We had a small hatch of misc chicks .... about a 50% hatch rate .... let the homemade incubator go to day 25 and then shut it down ....it sat in an extra room for a day before I went to dispose of the unhatched eggs and give it a good clean.
    Well I decided candle/open any unhatched ones to see what was going on I went through a few and then I picked one up with a hole in the bottom .... and a tiny beak right there ... sad I thought ya know he almost made it ... then the beak moved a little .... mind you the temp in the cooler was 61°f ..... so I removed him from the egg and membrane and held him(her?) under the heat lamp until the temp in the cooler came up to 100° then set him in there to cook! .... 24 hours later and hes still doing pretty good I guess ... acting like any other just hatched chick. There was a bit of yolk on his butt - looked like cooked yolk but that seems to be mostly gone now.
    Giving it some thought I probably should have re warmed him shell and all , not sure though would he have had enough energy to hatch the rest of the way on his own after that?

Boy somebody looks tired huh -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Congratulations!!! I had something similar except it was in day 23 when I was going to take the eggs left and toss them but I hadn't turned off the incubator yet. I thought I would candle the eggs first so I took them out and when I went to candle one it started peeping I turned the egg over and just as you found there was a little hole on the bottom that I couldn't see when it was in the incubator. I picked off the shell around the same line the chick would normally zip and placed the egg in a moist paper towel and a little while later it hatched. I think we had miracles. I was so happy when it hatched more or less unassisted. I have had to help chicks out once in awhile. Some have died but most have lived. Good luck with you little one...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh how wonderful!! He/she sure will be a special one!! Congrats!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Wowwww [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by