Almost all chickens died?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dsmchickens, Jan 25, 2014.

1. dsmchickens

dsmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    Last weekend one of our hens died and another on Thursday. It was really cold (Thursday) but last night it wasn't to cold. This morning when I went down all but two of the hens had died. Is there any explanation as to why this would happened so suddenly? Any responses appreciated thank you.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I had this happen to my last flock.sadly I lost all of them. It seemed none had symptoms but when I was down to my last bird I heard a slight wheeze. So in my case it was a dreadful respitory illness. You need to look listen and feel for ANY symptoms you can find. Any mucus or sneezing or coughing or any slight wheeze.? How is their poo? Color and consistancy? Do they appear puffed up or sleepy? Does their tail bob when breathing? Bobbing tail could signify a breathing struggle. Any unusual behavior before hand? Any limping or paralysis. I know this is a lot of questions but each question could be a clue to a particular illness. When we're they wormed last? Are they thin? Do they have any external parasites such as mites or lice? Does the coop have any mites or lice. Is their any access to wet feed? Moldy hay or wet bedding? All these things can lead to clues. We would need some clues to help figure this out so please check these things then answer back. What ever it is it's likely they all have contact with it weather it be something in the food or bedding or a virus. If you can give us some clues by answering these questions we might be able to figure out what's happening. Best wishes also is their water clean or is their algae growing in it? Certain algae can also be deadly to chickens.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your losses... You should get a necropsy done.

IOWA

Iowa State University
    Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, 1600 S. 16th St.
    Ames, IA 50011 Phone 515-294-1950 Fax 515-294-3564
    Pilot NAHLN Laboratory, AI, CSF, CWD,END, FMD, PRV, Scrapie, IAV-S*
    http://vetmed.iastate.edu/diagnostic-lab

IOWA

USDA, APHIS, VS, NVSL
    1920 Dayton Ave
    Ames, IA 50010 Phone 515-337-7200 Fax 515-337-7418
    NVSL - AI, BSE, CSF, CWD, END, FMD, PRV, Scrapie, IAV-S*, VSV

How to send a bird for necropsy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

4. dsmchickens

dsmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    no mites or lice to my finding. no moldy/wet bedding or food. this week they all were pretty lazy and puffed up outside ( i thought just because of the cold?) also a few bird were having trouble flying up ( their run has two different levels in on terraces) but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Are you using a heat lamp? If so check to make sure it is not teflon coated or anything surrounding bulb is not teflon coated. Teflon is toxic to birds.

Have you introduced any new birds? Look up information for Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,and can kill very fast if left untreated. Older birds can have an overload/outbreak of Coccidiosis.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    When you say puffed up coccidosis comes to my mind as well. You can have coccidosis without having bloody stool and it can wipe out a flock very fast. You would treat with corid or amprol they are both the same which is amprollium. You can find it at your feed store. Symptoms would be very sleepy and lethergic and puffed up.bloody stool is sometimes present but not all the time. If they match these symptoms I would start the corid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by