Almost as precious as gold ..to me, anyways...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Aneesa's Muse, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    In the past, I was into breeding Crested Geckos quite a bit ...had about 20 or more of them here, including babies that I produced! Then I decided to return to school for another degree and I sold off a LOT of my stock ..keeping only 6 of the really special ones to breed some time later on.

Well, this year ...the ants have been worse than they've ever EVER been in the past and they took 3 of my very special geckos ...ate them ALIVE!! It was awful stuff..

I have 3 geckos left ..my beloved Lucille, one of my holdbacks from one of the males that was killed, Lakota ..and an MIA female that I haven't had very long, Sun'dini (combo of Sunni and Houdini ...cuz she is magical at escaping her viv ..even with lid locks securely in place!)

Well.. with Sun'dini MIA ...I decided to move Lucille and Lakota into my bedroom and nearer to me, so I can check on them frequently and protect them better. While moving Lucille, I found FOUR viable eggos in her laybox ...not breeding her this season, this alone was a great surprise! Two of the eggs looked pretty far developed and two look freshly layed, so I put them in separate incubators and hid them away in my closet ...where I inc'y all my Crested eggos ...and today I found these little angels..

[​IMG]
    That's Sakinah on the left ..she didn't really want to be disturbed and is hanging onto her silk plant from their little viv ....and that's Frebert on the right ..she didn't care for being still from the moment I opened the inc'y!

[​IMG]
    ..and she wouldn't get off my Phal either!

[​IMG]
    ..hiding from me! [​IMG]

Thanks for lookin' at my babies! The legacy of L'il Abner lives on, after all!! [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    wow that has to be a fun thing to do!

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I never knew you could actually incubate lizard (or any reptile) eggs. I don't like reptiles, but they are awfully cute. Congratulations!

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Amazing looking little critters! I'm awed you're being able to raise them as it seems that would require much knowledge, skill and care.
    Thanks for sharing your joyful event!

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i love lizards.. i miss my bearded dragons

6. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Everyone! [​IMG]

Quote:I do a "little" reptile ..and other exotic... rescue, rehab and recovery in my home ....and I've been a huge reptile "geek" for almost my entire life. Some of my coursework has been focused on herpetology, and two of my degrees are Science related/based. [​IMG]

I love working with the geckos! They are fascinating ..and most of the species I keep are also very adaptable to some of my other hobbies and interests ...ie., orchids and various other tropical plants.

Here's a couple pics of Mom and Dad..

[​IMG]
    Lucille likes to help with the Gecko Gourmet...

[​IMG]
    L'il Abner hangin' out on the Fiddleleaf...

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

8. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I can't believe I'm saying it, but those are some cute reptiles!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by