1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost bought the farm this last weekend. Dog bite infection.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Turkeyrangler, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    On Saturday My wife and I were remodeling the bathroom and had it just about gutted by noon. We take in abused dogs, mainly shar peis. I was taking a break and had the dogs out back. Our male who we have had for three years has bitten before, mainly nips, but has been quite a while since he had done that. As I was walking by I reached out to pet him and I heard a low growl. Before I could pull back he bit me in my index and middle finger on my right hand. The bite to my index finger was slight, but my middle finger took a deep bite. I rushed in the house, flushed it out well making sure to squeeze out a lot of blood. I put neosporin on it, bandaged it and went back to work on the bathroom. The next morning I woke up very early to a hand like a balloon and a finger that was turning purple with blisters beginning to form. As soon as the ER doc saw it she said "we are admitting you." To make a long story short, by Sunday night I was in a lot of pain, on an IV antibiotic and on morphine. Scared the hell out of my wife. The antibiotics did work, but it took a couple days. I am now home and the dog is being put down. Had no idea that dog bites were this dangerous. Luckily I had insurance, plus aflac to cover my bills. If you are bit by a dog be sure to have it checked out right away. Don't wait. I will still be on antibiotics for 2 weeks and can not go back to work for at least a week. My middle finger is still covered in blisters, but has almost returned to it's regular color.

The doc said that if I had waited another 24 hours I would have probably not made it. Glad I went in when I did.

My son and his buddies came over to help my wife with the bathroom remodel and they did a great job, still a few things to do, but it will get done.

2. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I'm sorry your finger got quite the workout. That's no fun at all. I hope you finger heals without further problems, danged dog!

I was seriously bitten by a traumatised cat and ended up with 3 deep puncture wounds and one not so deep to my right hand at the V between the thumb and index finger. I washed really well then soaked it in almost scalding hot epsom salts and water. I did that several times the first day and next morning only one of the puncture wounds looked as though it was getting inflamed. I kept soaking and had no further problems with it.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Wow... i never knew that dog bites could be so bad, so quickly!...**i mean..unless they latch on to your throat or something... [​IMG] **
    I always thought it was cat bites that could do you in....
    Yikes.. Glad you're okay!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Cat bites are just as dangerous. Any bite can be the one that can kill a person. I am really happy that you were able to get medical help quickly. It is a shame about the dog though, after three years you must get attached to the dog. I understand though that you can't ever trust the dog again, and you clearly know what needs to be done. There is just no way to ever trust a dog that will bite it's owner. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Dog and cat bites are extremely dangerous to humans. I've never encouraged anybody to keep a known biter-even rescued ones. Recently had a well-loved client die because her shih-tzu bit her. The dog was a known biter and I often asked her why she kept the dog. She said somebody needs to love the difficult ones. Despite thinking of the perfectly lovely dogs needing a wonderful home this lady could provide, I kept my mouth shut. This was her personal belief and I had to respect it. Of course the staff took precautions when handling this type of 'pet'.

I was very sad to lose this lady. She had a good soul but a weak immune system. Her body was ravaged by the bacteria in the dog's mouth and she died a week later. Her children are devastated. Her husband is at a loss. The dog was euthanized which, in a way, was rather sad. Euthanasia should be an act of love-not revenge. Euthanasia should be a release from an old body no longer able to support life. Euthanasia should never be an vindictive act of retaliation.

Your story is an excellent reminder to be careful and never think, 'it's just a dog bite'. Sometimes a dog or cat bite is just as dangerous as being bitten by a pit viper.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Ouch! Glad that it turned out so well. DS (age 9) had a cat bite that we caught just before the 'purple balloon blister' stage. I never knew those pet mouths were so dirty!

Speedy healing!

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Edit... Somehow I missed a sentence... *blush*

8. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Dang!!!

Can you enlighten us as to the diagnosis? Was it a certain bacteria?

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I am now home and the dog is being put down. OP's response.....please re read the post.

I hope you feel better now and its an old wives tales that the dog's mouth is much cleaner....I can be sure it would have DX as DOG BITE or staph infection. Does not matter what kind of bacteria, it could be salmonella.....any dog bites are bad, and its worst if if it gets past the protective skin cover. Puncture wounds are bad, even rusty nails, you can get tetanus as well.

And your bathroom should be done before the snow falls! Take a picture of it when you are done!!!!! [​IMG]

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Probably an obvious but...What are the blisters caused from? The bacteria festering? [​IMG]

And glad all is okay with you wrangler!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by