Almost disastrous morning

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BonRae67, Jan 20, 2015.

1. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Yes it does get cold in Florida. Got up this morning and everything was good. Daybreak went in to feed everyone, got new babies a warm drink and fresh food and the power went out. So we waited about 15 minutes and it didn't come back on. We were worried that the 4 day old babies would get cold. My husband, man with a big heart, went and set up the generator and run a cord to the brooder for the babies. It got down to about 60 in the house but the babies were nice and warm. I had to leave and my hubby took great care of them for me. Thank goodness for our generator and my husband being home today.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    That is great! Glad it all worked out[​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    We all fear power failures when we have our babies. Next time it happens, be ready with some empty milk jugs in case your husband isn't home to start up the generator. Fill them with hot water and place at each end of the brooder, and it'll keep the brooder just as toasty as the heat lamp. The hot water last for at least an hour, maybe more.

Just thought to add this:

If you can't get hot water out of your faucet due to lack of power to create enough water pressure, you can always get it directly out of your hot water tank. At the bottom is a valve. Attach a hose to this valve so you don't get water all over the floor. Turn on the valve and gravity will allow the hot water to flow into a bucket. Or you can fill a bath tub if you are in need of a bath before the power comes back on!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Good idea and I actually thought of that. One problem, when the power goes out I have no water either. I had just finished making sweat tea and I thought of putting that in there. It was still warm. He needs to show me how to run the generator.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No water? That's seriously inconvenient!

Are you rural and on a well? Maybe you need to think about alternatives in emergencies. Back up plans are always good to have.

6. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Yep live in the sticks with a well.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have a similar situation. I'm on a cistern. I need a pressure pump to get water to the house. Twenty years ago when I first moved in, I thought, gee, how will I get water out of the cistern if the power goes out?

So I ordered an old fashioned hand pump, like all wells used to have, and I got a long pipe installed on it. On several occasions, I've endured extended power outages. All I need to do is drop the pipe down into the cistern and hand pump the water up. No electricity required.

Wouldn't it be worth considering having a hand pump installed on your well as an alternative way to get water? I sure would. Lots of stuff we can make do without if we have to, but water isn't one of them. Especially when you have baby chicks.

Generators require fuel. What if fuel were to be hard to come by or you run out? What if the generator broke down? Hand pumps always work.

8. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Thank you for this. Last night I read it and this AM I awakened to no power. I emptied my milk jug in a pitcher and filled it with hot water and it worked was 4 hours until the lights came back..

9. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I am glad that it was here for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by