Almost dog attack - now we have trouble

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I got home earlier than anticipated this afternoon and went out to let the ducks out in their outdoor run for what remained of daylight. They promptly ran off to the pond and I made the not so bright decision to let them be for the half hour or so they had left of light. They wandered up the hill and came back in the outdoor pen (gate open). I knew they had come back up but had a phone call to deal with and didn't go out right away. Next thing I hear a dog barking....Run outside in time to see the neighbor's new dog (they have two new puppies that like to wander) standing at the end of the duck pen (luckily the end that is fenced and closed) barking his fool head off at the ducks. And they are standing right up against the fence quacking their heads off at him. Guess it is lucky they didn't run toward the other end or he might have gotten in. Dog saw me and bolted - about that time his owner whistled for him. If he had gone another 30 feet the the other end of the pen, he would have had free access. And now he knows they are there....I lucked out this time. But am sure there will be a next, unless I keep them in their little pen (and it is too little - usually just the hens in their).

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Wowthat was close, believe i would have a talk with the neighbor about keeping their dogs fenced in. If your ducks are on your property then why should they have to be closed up so the neighbors dogs can run amuck?

3. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I would be having a stern talking to with you neighbor to keep his dog off of your property! I can't stand dogs that attack poultry! [​IMG] Be nice at first of course but if it happens again or worse it kills one of your ducks then let the poop hit the fan. I don't play games with irresponsible pet owners so if it were me, all bets would be off. We had a stray come by this summer and kill two really nice young barred rock cross roosters and just keep on running. That thing is lucky it kept on moving when it did let me tell ya! But like I said give him a chance to take responsibility and keep his dog where it belongs. And in the meantime just keep and eye on them when they are out. I wouldn't stop letting them out so long as you can keep an eye on them, you shouldn't have to just keep them penned up because of a trespassing dog.

4. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had issues with neighbor dogs since I bought this place 21 years ago. from "Drop offs" in the country or the lack of fences its been a pain. I keep my gates shut on the weekends especially due to the fact people get lazy and their dogs run all over. my one neighbor lost 15 chickens one day from another neighbors husky running loose.

I suggest that you talk to the neighbor before it becomes and issue.

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Unfortunately, we had a dog that was a repetitive escape issue (and still have an occasional doxie that goes AWOL) and they all head straight for this neighbor. So I am not really in a position to complain. Probably will talk to him to make sure he knows the ducks are here, but can't really complain about his dogs with our dogs history [​IMG] And unfortunately, the neighborhood is full of dogs and rarely are they controlled by any of the neighbors. We take ours out on leashes (with occasional escapes), but we are the exception.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    In the State of Washington it is legal to shoot a dog for "worrying" livestock. You must protect your birds.

Explain to the neighbor that while you don't neccesarily mind the dogs getting out every once in a while, but if they go after the birds there will be a problem.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:We have 3 mini dachshunds so understand about escapesees, thank goodness we have no neighbors. [​IMG]

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A nice, sturdy perimeter fence would be good for both your dogs and your neighbor's. Good fences and all.....

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    If I read this right, you have your ducks out in an area that is not fully fenced to protect them. While legally your neighbor may be required to keep his dog on his property and would be responsible for injury or death to your livestock, really it comes down to YOU are responsible for taking reasonable care that they not be injured (emotionally). It's time to build a good fence for any area your dogs or your livestock is out in. Even if your neighbors are careful with their dogs and they don't get out, there are other predators and stray or homeless dogs out there, you gotta keep your ducks protected. I understand about dogs that occasionally go awol, even my ancient pets sometimes find a gate that didn't latch properly, but they do have a fence they don't routinely escape. I'm considering getting a new pup next spring and I'm pretty sure my fence is getting old, so I'll be making arrangements for proper control. There's no joy in your neighbors paying for a lost duck when you can prevent it yourself. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by