Almost done, but have a few ?'s before it's finished, pics included

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buttercup1979, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Buttercup1979

Buttercup1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]This picture is of my DH holding a piece of wood where I want to hang the nestboxes. I wanted them 18 in. high and this is the height he is holding the wood. I should add that 18 in. is what the BOTTOM of the nest boxes will be at. He thinks that having the drop door directly under it will hamper them from being able to hop up and over into the coop. What do you think? Also, scroll down...

[​IMG]
    This is the drop door and the angle it will be at. I do plan on putting "steps" on the board but our question is, will this angle be too steep? Will it be too steep especially with the design in the picture up above?

2. Yknot

Yknot Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Florida/Ohio
    Maybe a traffic jam as it dead ends into a wall.

3. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

flip the hinge 180 to the other side.

The girl in pink is only 12 inches tall!!!!!

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    You already have the pop door maybe put the nest boxes on the other side of the coop. The birds might like the ramp starting on the opposite end as the wall is right at the top of the ramp.

5. Buttercup1979

Buttercup1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    So you say that the chickens are not going to like hopping up to the side once they reach the top of the door?

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I think if you modified the ramp so it was like a mini staircase, it would work out fine. As it is the ramp is too steep to use the common toe boards on it. I would make a little staircase with about 3-4" steps and risers. The chickens will walk right up, just like you do with the stairs in your house.
    Jack

7. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

just chicken feng shui
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by