Almost done- out door run renovation....UPDATED.....(pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingpurple, Jul 30, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    We, well mainly myself, along with my wonderful husband's knowledge, and handy workmanship, are making the outdoor run, bigger, and better. We did what we did at the time, but I have saved, worked hard, and this is the start.....[​IMG] I am so excited....I hope my small flock is too [​IMG]

Here is the what it is now, but with the new wood post in place.....

[​IMG]

Another angle.....

[​IMG]

This shows the back and we added a window to add a cross breeze, and as soon as that window was cut out, the coop dropped at least 10 degrees instantly. Trust me, we were working in there...LOL Hope the ladies notice tonight....

[​IMG]

Hope you can see how much bigger the run will be. I am so excited. All the welded wire is bought, well, maybe not. May need another roll, but we shall see? The posts are at 70 inches high, my welded wire is 60, and have rolls of hardware cloth, 2 ft tall for the bottom , and will sew them together and have an apron of about 1 foot to 18 inches....that is my game plan....LOL My husband is agreeing to this, but not as excited as me....

[​IMG]

Here is just another view of the back. The ladies will have late afternoon shade, and will love it.....I hope....

[​IMG]

So what do you all think, any advice, suggestions, ideas, opinions? Thanks in advance....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Looks good where is the gate going in?

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    ummmm beer!!!

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looks good! i'm sure the birds will enjoy the extra room!

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    That will be a lovely run for the ladies. Cute coop too!
    Post pics when you are finished.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    that will be very nice run and indeed bigger and better than the old one [​IMG]

7. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Looks good where is the gate going in?

Well, good question. My husband is suggesting we enclose the coop in the outdoor run, but to try to clean the coop with the hens having access to all the stuff, while I do it, and getting up on the cart I use, and well, chickens poop on everything, and we also use this cart for the gargage. Just envision more trounle cleaning the coop then what I want. [​IMG]

I was thinking of making a hallway type area, that would seperate the front part on the left, from the back part on the left. I can wheel my cart in there, right up to the door like I do now, and lock them out of the coop, and they would still be in the run, but not near me, or in with me. [​IMG]

My husband doesn't care, just doesn't want to have to do it again.

Anyone have the coop enclosed? Is it easy enough to clean the coop with the flock around?

ummmm beer!!!

Yes! LOL it was so hot, and I got off 3 hours early from work on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, thought it might help the creative thinking in the workmanship of my husband???? Okay, it was hot and I like beer ! That is my story and I am sticking to it. [​IMG]

8. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I am so excited that my ladies have SO much more room....

Here is the days effort. Thanks to my 3 sons, Luke, Jake and Zach and my grandson Nick (3) for keeping the tempers in check on a very LONG HOT day in the sun! IT was about 92. It was about 8 hours, many trips back and forth while we figured out how to make it right! Had pizza deliverd for dinner,and a good night sleep in in store for everyone.

So here is my day.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meet Ms. Pissy.....the others had to be locked in the coop, and she actually got the shade outside, while we worked....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 3 sons, one teaching a chicken how to read a ruler.....LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the great part..they have natural shade now.......late afternoon shade....so happy,and so are they !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last....my nice white leghorn, enjoying a small dust bath, and weeds, and grass, and shade....she just looked happy. In this pic it may not show it, but she just layed there rolling around...LOL

[​IMG]

9. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Forgot to add that I have to go around the bottom with the hardware cloth as an apron.....and paint the new window cover in the back!

I think my ladies are diggin' their new run [​IMG]

10. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    BEAUTIFUL!!! A job well done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by