(almost) final pics of new coop with green roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by franklinchickens, Jun 24, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    The run & coop are now just about done. We still need to landscape in front so it's not just dirt, and tweak a few things like adding some non-stick stuff to the ladder. Once the plants fill in, I think it's going to be great. It's already keeping the coop cooler at night. The green roof part has some succulents, a few things that will trail, ground covers and some herbs. We've left one box open for the fall to grow lettuce & spinach.
    We have had some issues with the chickens getting up there and yanking at the plants but that was only the first day or so. I suspect that once everything fills in, it won't be so intriguing - or maybe more so - who knows!
    This was a much bigger project than either of us anticipated but we are thrilled with the results. The inside has 2 nesting boxes, a roost, a window seat by some venting, food & water and a vinyl floor for easy cleanup, along with a fan. We need to wire in electrical but for now we are just using an exterior extension cord.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Way cool!

3. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Awesome coop! It makes me wish I owned my house so I could make something more permanent.

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Yeah, I like that alot. Looks very neat, tidy, and well thought-out. [​IMG]

5. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We really did think this through although I'm sure we'll find things we missed. We used a lot if ideas from BYC to make it work out but really wanted it to fit our house and where we wanted it. The section over to the left is a storage area for food & pine shavings. If my husband wasn't such a green thumb, I don't know that we'd do the green roof but I'm glad we did. Our front yard doesn't have any grass either - it's all plants & veggies - so why not the roof of the coop? [​IMG]

6. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    ohh so beautiful!!!!

7. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:The cool thing about this is that it is actually made in 3 different sections - the run is 2 sections and the coop sits on top of the right hand run. Each of the green roof beds is a separate piece as well. It all sits on concrete block and is connected together with bolts or something (whatever guys who build stuff connect things like this with). So if we decided to move it or move to another house - it can be transported in pieces. Just an fyi if that was what was holding you back!

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    very artistic, nice addition to your yard.[​IMG]

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

That is beyond cool... shame I didn't think of that, maybe my rosemary would still be alive... (stupid neighbor's heeler breaking a slat, sticking his head through and gnawing on my rosemary GAH!)

10. keedokes

keedokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's so awesome to see a green-roofed coop on here! This is how I plan to build both my coop and my rabbit hutch. Beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by